lighting ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just was scanning the diy forums and came accross this thread saing that you could possibly put neon lights in your canopy.
ne1 tried this?
seemes a good idea.
like the auto neon kits
dont seem like it would have little trouble lighing the tank
since neon is quite brite anyway.
:)
(led aquarium lights)

I belive this concept was used as a moonlight setup vs trying to light the tank for daylight with neon.

Yes, it was in reference to moonlight, and technically they were talking about cold cathode lighting, which looks like neon lighting, but actually uses less power, and the bulbs don't really give off heat.

Problem is that they are pretty darn bright compared to the LED's that most use for moonlighting...and unlike an LED you can't really dim a cold cathode...it'll dim a minute amount, then just go black.
But, people have successfully put them in the hood so that they don't shine into the water...rather they shine into the hood and get diffused to make a much dimmer light that reflects back into the tank.

Still, I think LED's are the better option.

not talking bout moonlights
am talking about those underbody neon kits
looks like they could work
as mains
(dont get me wrong pc mh and 8's t5'st12's are what we all use)
but its something that has piqued my interest
just imagine 2 whit neon tubes in your tank
dont know if the light output would sustain corals and inverts
for the actnics i doubt the blue neon tubes would work :)

for main lighting...no I think it'd be a huge waste of time and money to install neon lighting.
If it was a good idea, lots of people would be doing it.

Leave the neon mod's to the Honda Civic crowd.

Back
Top Bottom