Lighting Issue URGENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok today i got my reef lighting and it was supposed to come with 3 10k bulbs and 3 03 bulbs.. However it came with 3 10k ultra-sunlight bulbs and 3 20k blue 450nm bulbs... Are 20k blue bulbs ok to use in reef tank? I havent heard of anyone using 20k blue bulbs at all. Please advise..

TIA,
James

Yes they are ok, they are not going to be 450 NM though...03 actinics are 420 nm..

20000K are White with a bluer hue to it..

The lights itself is catilina 20k 450nm blue bulbs.. Along with Catilina 10k ultra-sunlight bulbs.. The 20k 450nm bulbs seem extremely blue.. Actually they dont seem blue they are blue.... Now since I have returned from the LFS.. The sold me 2 Percula Clownfish along with 2 neat looking Condylactis that are white with purple tips... They said that they would do well in my tank.. The clowns I am not worried about however the Condi's I am When doing research on them it seems as though they are not really reef compatible... From what I read it says with caution.. Has anyone had luck with these in a reef??? I wouldnt really consider my tank a full blown reef as of yet... But it soon will be over time... I have enclosed a pic of my tank.. Please advise should I take the Condi's back tomorrow??? Or should it do ok.. I dont want it hurting anything else in the tank... The only thing that I have in the tank as of right now is a few hitchhiker crabs, 2 percula clownfish, 2 astrea snails, a pencil urchin, 2 Condylactis, and a mantis shrimp that I am currently trying to catch.. BTW this is a 55gal tank

I see now, it seems they are calling that one a 20,000K Blue bulb...hmm,,,do you have a link to their website?

I have a 7000K blue bulb that looks exactly the same in pictures as your 20,000K does..but it is a hamilton bulb...

Also, is this the new T-5 HO lighting fixture?

The lights itself are 22" 20k 450nm blue 55watt power compact.. I dont have a website address with any information about the bulbs.. as for the condys whatcha think about them..

James

Well, Condy's hmmm, had a few, lost one of them to a PH, and the others I took back to the LFS because they are simply not suited for a reef aquarium...They require strong lighting and perfect conditions which is a plus, but, they tend to uproot themselves and float around stinging everything in their path... They are also not hosts for any anemone fish. They pack a powerful sting and are undesirable by Clowns of any nature...I personally have seen one instance of it, a Yellow Tail Damsel I had once,,, used to back up to one and fan its tail at it and back up into it once or twice, but I did not give it enugh time to make a home because I got rid of the anemones as well as the damsels...

Back
Top Bottom