lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GsxrD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok guys I'm looking for lighting advice. I currently have a 55G FOWLR I'm considering growing corals and realize I need to upgrade my lighting. The issue is I have a pretty tight budget. I've found this light and was wondering it was strong enough for anenome. If you guys have any recommendations for under 200 that would be awesome. I would like to house anenome, some clams and prob some soft corals. Still doing research on what I would stock the tank with but I figure I would start with the light source.

Amazon.com: New 48" 216W T5 Aquarium Light Fixture Reef Fish Tank Light: Kitchen & Dining

Doesnt look horrible, you could keep a nice assortment of corals with that I think. :) But I don't thnk it would be enough for an anenome. :-( They need establihsed tanks, pristine water and intense lighting.

Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the link when I get home I will check. The tank is established and the water is pristine. But I'm trying to figure out this lighting

I looked at the link and the unit looks really good i'll probably be going this root and adding a strip of blue led for moon-lighting. Unless you guys have any other recommendation

Check on ebay at current usa's refurb section. I have their 12 bulbs(6 rows of 2 bulbs) and it puts out the par. This isn't one of the things to skimp on, that may work for a while, and then the internals start to give out and you have to replace them, which isn't cheap if it's a ballast. I had an odysea fixture and never had any trouble, but quite a few other have had problems. Not trying to scare you, but something to think about.

balasts are not as expensive as you think they are, you can get an advanced centium for like $25 or go with workhorse for roughtly the same price.

if you go with icecapp, they over charge a 54watt lamp to 80watts which is good to penetrate the water lot deeper (over 30")

Back
Top Bottom