Lighting question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal FOWLER and I'm considering going to reef in the future. I understand lighting, calcium, and many factors play a part in a successful reef aquarium. My question is in regards to lighting. I know some corals require more/better lighting while some aren't quite as "picky". However, I am wondering what would be appropriate lighting in general. I don't have specific corals in mind just yet however I am curious about the lighting I already have. Its a 4 bulb (2x 10,000k and 2x actinic) 216watt T5. It also has 4 moonlight LED's even thought they provide nothing but cosmetics. However, Is this a good light to start with and then upgrade later as needed? Thanks to all!

Yeah that's a decent light to start out with. You can grow some shrooms and some zoas with that. If you want to upgrade later, you can get another 4 bulb fixture. With that you can grow anything you want.

Do you have the brand of the fixture you have? A good fixture will have individual reflectors for each bulb. Also, the age and quality of the bulbs play a huge part. I have a fish needit 4 bulb light that cant hold a candle to the 4 bulb individually reflected fixture I have on my 90g which also has higher end bulbs that are about 8 months old. That 90g fixture is still rocking even with aged bulbs. :)

Honestly, I cant remember the brand and it's not labeled either. However, I replaced the bulbs about 3 weeks ago. They are good for a while at this point. Each bulb in the fixture have their own reflector so I presume it's a decent fixture.

Sounds good then. :) You should be able to keep a nice assortment of corals with that. What bulbs did you go with as replacements? The bulbs can make a huge difference. I have a brand new fixture over my 20g tank and yet the corals are loving the older bulbs in my 90g over the brand new bulbs on the 20g. LOL

You should be able to get lower light sps to grow in the tank with good bulbs. bulbs and individual reflectors make a world of difference when it comes to T5. I have 4 T5's over my 55 and I actually use it to grow out frags of sps for my other tank.

Back
Top Bottom