Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noobtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does having your aquarium near a window have any extra benefits?

Does having your aquarium near a window have any extra benefits?

No. In fact, I would say to make sure it is not placed in an area of direct sunlight for extended periods. Being put in direct sunlight can cause temperature swings and algae problems if it is getting too much.

The temperature swings are definitely something you'd want to watch out for if your tank is near a window. This will stress your fish and inverts.
I have to take issue with the statement that sunlight causes algae though. IMO, sunlight won't cause algae any more than any other light source as long as the nutrient levels in the water are not too high.
Having said that though, I am in agreement that it wouldn't be a good idea to have the tank in direct sunlight due to the possible heat issues. If you can place the tank where it will receive indirect sunlight, I think the corals would benefit from it.

I have to take issue with the statement that sunlight causes algae though. IMO, sunlight won't cause algae any more than any other light source as long as the nutrient levels in the water are not too high.

there is talk at other web sites that direct sunlight can replace hid lighting. but you still need to address temp swings. such as using cooling fans or a chiller.

my tank is in direct sunlight and i have no algae problems or temp problems. but i do try and keep the blinds shut, not for the tank but so i can see the tv.

yea i always kinda had the blinds halfway open so it wouldn't receive direct sunlight because i wasnt sure if it was a wise idea..thanks for your input guys/gals

have to take issue with the statement that sunlight causes algae though. IMO, sunlight won't cause algae any more than any other light source as long as the nutrient levels in the water are not too high

Really? Since sunlight is about as intense (PAR speaking) as it gets, I figure it would would easily be able to fuel algae growth. More so than any HID bulb around. You are correct that if nutrients levels are zero, than this would not be a problem. But I am pretty sure that everyone has a little algae in their tank, thus probably some nutrient buildup. ;)

My theory is that the light saturation point for algae...at least the pest algae...is pretty low. Once this has been met, and other conditions are right, it will grow whether you are using PC's or the nuclear furnace in the sky. One of my prop tanks gets the morning sun through a window up till about noon. I don't have any algae problems with this tank. The other one, further in the room and not getting the sunlight, is giving me fits with hair algae right now :cry: . Also, in reading Anthony Calfo's book about coral propagation, he says pretty much the same thing about sunlight and growth of pest algae. I would offer a direct quote, but my desk is piled up so badly right now that I can't find the book.
It's interesting to note also, that after a couple of hours of the sunlight hitting the tank, all the coral frags that can are leaning towards it. Anyway, JMHO :mrgreen: .

all the coral frags that can are leaning towards it. Anyway, JMHO .

Now that is cool!! Like plants leaning toward sunlight. :)

Your theory makes perfect sense, Logan. Never really thought of a "light saturation point".

My theory is that the light saturation point for algae
i dont disagree with you. if one would create a graph showing growth rate and light intensity, i would theorize that as light would increase, growth would also until a point were it leveled off (optimum light intensity) and then growth would start to decline as light increases (too much light).

but my thought experiment would go this way. we know that we can have to much light in a tank using hid lighting (coral bleaching) therefore i would suspect that we can meet or exceed nature easily when it comes to light intensity and still have no algae problems.

i would think that the myth that sunlight causes algae blooms comes from INADEQUATE tank lighting. hear me out please.

if one has a tank with inadequate lighting and has no algae problems and the same person moves the tank into direct sunlight and suddenly has algae problems they blame it on the sun. but in reality as Logan put it they have a nutrient problem. a problem that never surfaced because the light intensity was inadequate for proper growth.

sorry to bore you all.

Back
Top Bottom