Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawnmarnie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do you think 2 55wat pc bulbs on a 30 gallon reef tank would be enough for hard corals clams etc.. and do you think 120.47 for the ballasts and bulbs reflectors etc is a good price there the retrofit type. Bulbs 10k combo bulbs with the atinic on them too.

as far as prices i would check out ahsupply.com. they have 2X55 watt retro for $65. i have heard good things about them but never personally ordered from them. as far as enough light i'm not really sure. from what i have heard most people say that clams should really only be grown under Mh. but i have heard of a few having success with pc. ask if mike will move this thread to the general forums so others can comment. so that way you get a better pool of opinions.

I would also check www.hellolights.com. I just checked their website and their price for a 2 x 55 wat retro kit is $125.00. Also, their retro kits are plug n play, no wiring required. They also offer the true actinic 03 bulbs. I don't know if ah offers them yet.
The ah supply systems are priced without bulbs. The system may be $65, but then you have to add in the price of the bulbs.

Brian

Since a 30 gallon tank is a 36" tank, I'd go with 96w PC's as they are about 33" long and will give much better coverage. I installed a 2x96 kit from AH supply several months ago...spent about $180 on it. Works great. They also do have the true actinic...they call them dark blue (???go figure 8O ). If you want to DIY this thing, you can get ballasts from Lowes that will run PC's just fine. Be glad to help with that if you're interested in doing it that way.
Logan J

You can buy ballasts at lowes/home depot that will run pc bulbs for reef application? Let me know the info on them what to look for I go to home depot all the time ill have to check that out.

Around here, Home Depot carries Advance and Lowes carries Sylvania. I have only used the Sylvania so far. The 2x32 electronic will run either 2x 28,32, or 36w bulbs. It will run one 55/65w bulb. The 4x32 will run either 4 of the smaller bulbs, 2x55/65w or 1x96w. The 2x59 will run 2x55/65w or, I think, 1x96w. The Sylvania ballasts are called Quicktronics. My understanding is that these ballasts are very similar to the Fulham Workhorse series. I wonder if they'll light a VHO also? Kinda doubt it, but I'm gonna wire one up one day just to see if it will.
Logan J

I adapted one of the JBJ's that I had. It is 2 55 watt pc and it is sitting on a 30 gallon tank. IMO it is nowhere near strong enough to grow high light animals. I am using it as a grow out tank for a few corals I am fragging and they do not do nearly as well in there as they do in the main tank. My xenia frags pulsed like crazy under the MH and they are right up at the top of the tank under the pc and are barely pulsing....

hmm i went to home depot today and they said there ballasts were for like 6' bulbs etc and wouldnt work for what i wanted to use them for is this the case or can I use the ballasts they have they were pretty cheap but then id have to buy the connectors to hold the lights im wondering if it's just better to buy the ones from ah supply their 2X55 ballast reflector and caps etc are only 65 dollars or so.

The AHsupply kit would probably be easier to start with. If the ballast ever goes out, you can replace it with one of the HD or Lowes ballasts. I seriously doubt that anyone working in their lighting dept knows what the ballasts will light other than whats printed on the ballast. I have several of them running PC's now and they work just as well as any other. I build my own reflectors so the only thing I have to order is the endcaps. I usually order them from www.il-solutions.com ...best price I've found on them. I don't get the moisture proof ones as I don't think they're worth the extra money.
Logan J

thank you for the info your right though the guy only knew what the paper told him said they need to be 6' 8' bulbs I said that id never ehard of the bulb legnth mattering just wattage etc.. heh he had no idea so I figured id ask here 1st since you guys actually know what your talking about

Back
Top Bottom