Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of upgrading my lighting. I have seen the Coralife 48" MH and PC hood that has 2 X 150W HQI 10,000K MH bulbs and 2 X 96W PC actinic. Has anyone had any experience with this hood? I definitely want a hood instead of a hanging pendant because of where my tank is located. The price seems really good on these at www.captivereefs.com but I am curious to know if this is a well built product and is the lighting strong enough for me to keep just about any corals and clams in a 72G? Are there any other hoods I should consider? I saw some Hamilton Technology hoods but they didn't look as solid. Please let me know

Thanks

tripper

That's a nearly 7 wpg and should be enough for just about anything I would think. No exp with that light however. I do agree also about the hood versus a pendant.

Awesome light with a great company standing behind it. They put out alot of light and also have the built in moonlights which is nice. The hoods also come with the legs to mount it about 3" up off the tank. They are built much nicer than the Hamilton hoods and look more asthetically pleasing to the eye! Remember the coupon code AQUARIUMADVICE to save 10% through December

I have the light and love it. I actually scored mine 2-weeks used for $500. You might have a heat issue though. I solved mine by setting up my heater in the sump to come on with the night lights. The halides keep it warm enough during the day.

I am also looking into the aqaulight pro 48" for my 75 gallon :roll: . Haven't had a reef tank for awhile because I have been moving around the country. So I starting out new again. I used to have VHO and my inhabitants loved them, but now there are tons of options.

It seems like a good deal with enough wattage for most anything. Captivereefs has the best price $665 with 10% off ($599), otherwise coralreefecosystems has it for $635 and that includes mounting legs. I dont know anything about either company apart from their website.

I have been concerned about the inability to upgrade if this light proves to be weak for clams and sps. I have been leaning more towards a Hamilton 2x 250wa mogul MH and 2x 110 VHO system deluxe hood at customaquatics.com for $619. Its rare that one has too much light with reefs, but it can happen.

If anyone has dealt with these internet aquarium site I'd love to hear some feedback. :?:

The aqualight pro comes with legs to raise about 3" off the tank to help with heat.

Sipe You can do a board search on me and find alot of positive replies!

Back
Top Bottom