lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been reading up on lights but I am not sure if I should go with metal halides over Fluorescent. I understand the need for blue light etc. I have looked at the jebo 3' metal halide system and the 48" Coralife Lunar Aqualight Moonlight Hood 4 x 65 watt as options. I know I will need 4 of them so I want to make the right choice the first time. Any help would be appreciated. Aquarium is 525 gallon 96x35x36

Why not run some metal halide retro kits? You could do (4) 250 watt coralvue kits with 14K bulbs for under $800. That would eliminate the need for extra actinics since the 14K is a bluer bulb. Easier on pocket and the electric bill as well.

I agree with Darin. My 250w MH 14K bulbs can be run with, or without the need for pc. Plus, I think it looks better because of the shimmering effect it has and it is able to penetrate deeper. You may even consider 400w due to the depth of your tank.

Mike

"65 Watts give you the light of a 500 Watt light."

I would weary. I'm not familiar with this product, but it is 65w only. They claim it has the power of 500w NO bulbs. Remember, you have a 525g tank.. You would be better off with MH, or pc in my opinion.

Mike

Brenden you can purchase these same lights, there brand name is lights of america at homedepot and just wire them yourself and put air holes if you are so inclined. I know alot of people use them on their refugium, I'm not sure yet if I'm going to place one on my main tank. They are really used as flood lights. I was able to get them for about $30.

I wouldn't run them on the main tank. You will want to get the appropriate bulbs for them to prevent unwanted algae growth. Maybe on a refugium..

Mike

I have decided to go with MH. I just saw them and the guy had good feedback, even a feedback comment about them being good aquarium lights.

Back
Top Bottom