Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZCyndi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've read the sticky on lighting comparisons, but wanted some specific info. My light recently died and I just popped in a new one, but now that I've found your site, I wonder if I should be thinking more about this.

I have a 20-gal hex with a pair of perc clowns and some LR. I just have a fluorescent light in there that seems fine (I've had these fish for a long time and they are doing great), but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on if I should improve the lighting just because. One of my problems is finding a light strip that is only 15 inches long (as that is the size of my hood). I've checked the recommended lighting outlets from this site.

What is recommended fluorescent wattage for my set up?

Is simple fluorescent adequate for an FO setup?

Should I upgrade (I think this will require me to get a whole new hood, etc.) even though I don't plan to add any additional livestock?

Thanks for any opinions.

AZCyndi said:
One of my problems is finding a light strip that is only 15 inches long (as that is the size of my hood). I've checked the recommended lighting outlets from this site.
I can see how that would be a problem using NO tubes. I wonder if your hood, and I can't say without seeing it, could be retrofitted for a 32w PC bulb? That would get you under the 15" limit, but you'd have to change ballasts and endcaps. You might look into one of the retro kits that uses an external ballast.

What is recommended fluorescent wattage for my set up?
3-5 wpg minimum for a reef. Enough light to see the fish for a FO tank. The 32w PC would do a good job...I'd go with a 50/50 bulb. If you have enough light on there now that the tank looks good, that'll do as well.

Is simple fluorescent adequate for an FO setup?
Yes. Contrary to what you may have read, you can get good coraline growth on your rock with NO lighting. I maintain a 75g with 80w of NO lighting and the coraline algae is growing well in there. Keeping calcium and alk levels up will help.

Should I upgrade (I think this will require me to get a whole new hood, etc.) even though I don't plan to add any additional livestock?
Unless you intend to upgrade to a reef, I wouldn't spend the money. The PC retro kit in the existing hood is about as far as I would go with it. Lighting can get, as you have probably noticed, very expensive. Love to see some pics of your tank if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom