lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes that would be sufficient, but only for lower light coral (gives less than 4 watts per gallon) such as mushrooms, polyps, some leathers and of course the deep reef coral like some gorgonias, carnations, and chilli coral to name a few. Here is basically the same thing, but a little cheaper (It's refurbished; not used...refurbished price in at the right of the page. New price is on the left).

http://tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=667

If you want more wattage to keep more of a variety of coral as well as anemones, then you need a light system with higher wattage bulb capacity and can do so without getting into metal halides (which can eat up electricty)...

http://tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=500

This will give you a bit over 5 watts per gallon and good for most soft corals and LPS corals as well as anemones. It also allows for independent switch control so you can create a dawn and dusk period of lighting. These also have lunar lights.

I used a 4x55 PC fixture as my first light setup on my 75. I kept some LPS, leathers, zoos, shrooms and even Digitata. I have heard of some anemone living in tanks with PC fitures but most don't recommend it. I have a green bubble tip that I got yesterday and it is in my 20L with a 2x55 fixture over it. I am going to see how it does. I have MH over my 75 so it might end up in there. The 20L is my frag tank. I want to see how the anemone is going to do before I introduce him to my display.

thanks TCT! so would the first choice not be sufficient for any anemones?

It's very borderline and leaves room for zooanthellae loss. That's the algae anemones grow in their tissues from the light. This algae gets converted into sugar which tends to the animal's metabolic system. It also gives them their brown and green coloring (same for light dependent coral). It can take a very long time for zooanthellae loss to be noticed and even longer for an animal to die from zooanthellae loss. I'm talking months to years. Best to get the other one that has 4 96 watt bulbs and avoid zooanthellae loss altogether.

For Ellisz...

Nothing wrong with keeping anemones with PC lighting, so long as the wattage amount is appropriate to maintain zooanthellae growth.

Back
Top Bottom