Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well...unfortunately, there aren't really any good lighting systems that are cheap. If you buy cheap lights, then cheap lights are what you have. The least lighting I would even consider for a 75 would be a 4x48" VHO system (or equivalent PC or T5). For an anemone, I wouldn't do less than 2x250w MH. Sure, you could do 175w, but why? 250's are about the same price. But...your clowns don't need an anemone. They will host several different corals...I have a pair of percs that hang out in a mushroom. In the ocean, anemones are nearly immortal. They live for hundreds of years. They average about 6 months in an aquarium. 3 years is unusual. 5 years is almost unheard of. Some people manage to keep them alive long term, but a very high percentage die in aquariums. My vote is to leave the anemone where it can live and offer your clowns something else to host in. But if you do buy one, you're gonna need to get some MH lights IMO.

I would consider MH`s or T-5 `s. PC`s or VHO`s dont have the intensity for a anenome. If you want to go by the WGG rule which is really outdated because of technology of lighting it should be at least 5 or 6 WPG.

If you really really want an anemone and must have one... get a bta. They are hardier than lta's and all others. When you get one make sure it is healthy- it should be attached to something and no visible cuts/or damage to it, especially the foot.

FYI your clowns may not go near the anemone.

I'm lucky and have a pair of O. clowns with a bta in my 20 nano reef- 130 watt pc lights.
I also have a rock anemone. They are cool, but don't serve as hosts to clowns.

75 gallon halide

I have a 75 gallon with 2x250 halide at 10k ... it looks really whitish yellow... I also have 4x65 actinic running ...
do you think I should change the 2x250 halide to 20k ??
whats the best combination of light for lps and anemone's .. etc...

All very good advice. At the very minimum, a 4x65watt CF fixture will be okay for a BTA. I would consider 4x96watt CF as a better alternative, especially for a LTA. Remember, this species prefers to dwell where the rockwork and sandbed meet. therefore, you will need a light that will penetrate to the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom