Lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

would this be good lighting for a 55gal reef? Or maybe a little bit too much lighting

48" 4 Lamp VHO Retrofit Kit (w/ ARO Model 4L ballast)

Bulb1: URI Aquasun 10,000K VHO(+$23.95)

Bulb2: URI Aquasun 10,000K VHO(+$23.95)

Bulb3: URI Super Actinic VHO(+$20.95)

Bulb4: URI Super Actinic VHO(+$20.95)

total 254.80

Any sugestions??? I plan on putting them into a Walmart hood assembly that runs about $40.00 Or is better cheaper lighting that would work just as good?

TIA,
James

I'm not sure if you can put them in a Walmart hood assembly, but if your handy enough to do that...you should be able to easily build a wooden canopy for them. I think 4 X 110W VHO, is a little high, but it really depends on what you want to keep. If you are planning on keeping Clams and SPS corals, it may be just right. You need to be careful with that much light, you run the risk of photoshocking many of the corals we add to our tanks, you might also see algae issues if you are not diligent with your maintenance.

On bulb choice rather than the Aqua Sun's, I would go with the Actinic Whites ;)

Amount of lighting seems a little high. Rule of thumb on the high end of 5 watts per gallon means a high end of 275W. With 4 VHO bulbs @110W each this is 440W. Definitely going to be a bit bright in there .. hello algae. If you want to have coral and Inverts, I would say you need a maximum of Two VHO lamps. One each of the Actinic white and Super Actinic. Also need to consider a fan unit or two if you are going to use 4 bulbs to handle the heat problem they will generate. The preferred choice for the VHO seems to be the Icecap ballasts.Lastly make sure you are using waterproof (or resistant) end caps for the fixtures. Remember saltwater and electricity love each other...just do not be in the middle :lol:

I am going to have to disagree with the too much lighting...And 5 watts per gallon IMO is not enough for corals. I have 384 watts over my 55 and I am thinking of adding 2 175 mh to the mix of 4 96 watt PC's.

The real question is what are you going to keep that is going to demand the strong lighting?

If you are thinking of SPS and Clams, I am with Kevin, it is going to be just right.

The 4 VHO's though, will not fit in the Wal Mart hood. It is also made of regular plastic, and I am afriad it will melt under the heat conditions. It is made to just hide the light fixtures that come with their kit...

A wooden canopy will cost you roughly the same amount, and look much better...
JMHO

48" 4x65W Coralife Aqualight CF hood, 2x Actinic and 2x 10,000K, -Straight 230.90

4 @ 65w = 260watt Using the estimated 3-5watts per gallon this should work just great correct?

The VHO strip seems to be roughly the same price the VHO was was roughyly $250.00

I am looking to make sure this is the last light kit i will ever need to buy.. At least for the 55gal anyways...

TIA,
James

I have a 4x96 PC retrofit setup over my 55. My nitrates are <5ppm, almost down to zero. But with the light, I have a constant green film algae problem. I have to deal with it every single night. *sigh* :cry:

I'm currently using the coralife 4x65 the same you are talking about along with another 2x55 watt strip over my 75. I'm swtiching over to a dual 250 MH with 220 of actinic supplement. I believe the tank dimensions from 75 to 55 are about the same with the exeption of the front to back. This will be my last light upgrade (at least for this tank :mrgreen: ). I think you will be happy with the coralife 4 x 65 unless you decide to try clams or get heavy into high light needing SPS.

Back
Top Bottom