Lighting Questions! Need Help QUICK!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. How is the 6500K T5 bulbs? I have heard that they encourage algae growth?

2. How is Jebo light? I'm thinking of getting an used Jebo 4 x 54W T5 setup w/o bulb for $20.

3. What should I get: the Jebo setup w/o bulb for $20 or a TEK5 4 x 54W T5 setup w/ 4 6500K for $150?

4. In a 4 x 54W T5 setup, what bulbs should I use? I saw there were 4 types of T5 bulbs and I want to know what is the best combination of 4 bulbs.

Thanks!

Beware of the Jebo "Oddyssea" light. I got suckered into their "too good to be true" pricing. I should have done some research first but after I ordered it I found out they were known to be a fire hazzard. They are very cheaply made and I know one other person who got taken by them also. I don't advocate bashing vendors but the stuff I've heard and my personal experience is to stay away.

I've never heard of the Tek 5. I ended up saving my money and getting a Current light. I wish now that I would have just saved a little longer instead of getting the cheap jebo and then having to replace it.
hth

The Tek-5 is a great fixture.
What types of corals are you planning on?
1) If it is mostly small polyp stony, 2) aquablue plus, 2)Actinic plus
2) If it is more large polyp stony, 3) Actinic plus and 1) Aquablue plus
3) If it is more soft coral, 2) Actinic plus, 1) Aquablue plus, 1) Pure Actinic
Softies and large polyp stony will enjoy all three lighting arrangements.
1) Brightest white/baby blue
2) Rich deep blue/little white
3) Jimi Hendrix Experience (highest level of fluorescence)

The 6500k is functional for only short windows of light. If you were running three separate 2 tube ballasts, the 6500k would be on for only 3-4 hours of a light cycle. They produce too much red color, and can encourage excess cyanobacteria and algae if left on for too long.

6500k is a good color temp for a refugium where you are growing macroalgae.. you need 10000k (or higher) and actinic for a reef tank.

65K is the spectrum of natural sunlight. Years ago, that was the only metal halide bulb you could get and I never had any problems with it at all. I ran 65K metal halide with 65k and actinic flourscents for many, many years (about 10 yrs...maybe more since I ran 55k before 65k's came out). It's a little on the yellow side compared to 10K or higher, but it will not cause excessive algae or cyano.

Yeah, even the seller told me "These bulbs are great for growing corals but it also encourage algae growth alot"

I'll still deciding if I should get that 4x54W T5 setup. 1 of my reef buddies is telling me that it won't be enough for my 30" tall tank.

If I'm to get the setup though, I'm thinking of 2 AquaBlue+, 1 Actinic+, 1 Pure Actinic. What do you think?

Thanks!

That would be more than adequate. The T-5's with the appropriate reflectors have the PAR and intensity of the metal halides. Dr Sanjay Joshi has done research on this... He mentioned it at a reef club meeting. He compared two 24" T-5's (with reflectors) to 1 150watt metal halide!

Back
Top Bottom