Lighting schedule question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there a rule of thumb to go by? I have my BC29 with an AI SOL BLUE so that's all timed for the entire day.

The question is on my nano 8 gallon my wife bought me 2 different Par38 LED bulbs to see which one I'd like (early birthday gift)What's a good schedule? Is 12 hours good? I figured have it come on at 8am and off at 8pm I'm not home all day so I wanna enjoy the tank when I get home. Or should I have it turn on later in the day and have it on longer at night? Not sure if there's a rule to this.

Mostly mushrooms, zoas, ricordias, I'm also going to try a clam. Maybe a few other hardy corals like leathers.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

http://ledtric.myshopify.com/products/ledtric-par38-zooman72-full-spectrum-18w-reeflamp-1

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic...f_Aquariums-Ecoxotic-XX06850-FILTBULD-vi.html

Be safe everyone. Big storms coming around today/tonight. New York already activated state of emergency.

I run my tank on a 12/10 hour cycle. It was less because of algae but that's cleared up so I extended it. I have my actinics turn on at 10am then daylights at 11, then daylights off at 9pm and actinics off at 10. Everything is happy and healthy and it allows me time to watch the tank after work.

kdpuffer said:
I run my tank on a 12/10 hour cycle. It was less because of algae but that's cleared up so I extended it. I have my actinics turn on at 10am then daylights at 11, then daylights off at 9pm and actinics off at 10. Everything is happy and healthy and it allows me time to watch the tank after work.

Thanks for the input so 12 hours should be good then. I just have one bulb so no separate lights. It's all in one bulb. It's my little 8 gallon so I'll stick with the 12 hours and take it from there.

Thanks!

When starting up your gonna see algae blooms so when that happens dial it down then once it's cleared up you should be able to do a 12 hour cycle. My tank is in my living room which isn't very bright during daylight hours so I can run my light cycle later, if your tank is in a bright area I would try to match up the natural daylight hours as best as you can.

kdpuffer said:
When starting up your gonna see algae blooms so when that happens dial it down then once it's cleared up you should be able to do a 12 hour cycle. My tank is in my living room which isn't very bright during daylight hours so I can run my light cycle later, if your tank is in a bright area I would try to match up the natural daylight hours as best as you can.

My living room is bright during the day and I'm battling diatoms pretty bad actually. I had gotten a few snails and they seem to be helping. Hopefully it settled down soon! It's driving me crazy!

I hear you man been there, the algae was the worst for me- thank god for my fox face lol. I would try to match your light cycle with the daylight hours.

kdpuffer said:
I hear you man been there, the algae was the worst for me- thank god for my fox face lol. I would try to match your light cycle with the daylight hours.

Cool thanks. Daylight is around 7am and the nigh at about 8pm

Or should I let the natural light be the sunrise and then pop the lights in later or am I just way over thinking this lol.

I would set it so the real sun comes up an hour or so before your lights turn on. Use the sun as a wake up call so it's not just a sudden blinding of light lol.

kdpuffer said:
I would set it so the real sun comes up an hour or so before your lights turn on. Use the sun as a wake up call so it's not just a sudden blinding of light lol.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for all the help. I'll have the light come on at 9am.

My lights are actinics on at 1pm off at 12:30 (bedtime lol) whites and purples on at 2pm off at 11. My living room though only has 2 Windows and stays fairly dark which my reef is my main source of light in the main room and somewhat for the kitchen which helps combat a little bit of the daily electric usage haha

I'm probably out of my mind but I use all 14 of my AI controllers settings and have lights on 24/7. I have only blue (set at 1) from midnight to 5:45 am, then royal blue and blue continue to escalate until around 8:30 am when white starts getting added. All three continue to escalate until my peak hours (2:30-4:30 pm) and then they all decrease over time until whites kick off around 9:30 pm and only the 2 blues stay on and decrease until midnight where I'm back to just one blue set at 1. I never reach 100 on any of the lights at anytime, highest I get is in the 90s.

Keithhjs said:
I'm probably out of my mind but I use all 14 of my AI controllers settings and have lights on 24/7. I have only blue (set at 1) from midnight to 5:45 am, then royal blue and blue continue to escalate until around 8:30 am when white starts getting added. All three continue to escalate until my peak hours (2:30-4:30 pm) and then they all decrease over time until whites kick off around 9:30 pm and only the 2 blues stay on and decrease until midnight where I'm back to just one blue set at 1. I never reach 100 on any of the lights at anytime, highest I get is in the 90s.

I wish I had leds.

Back
Top Bottom