Lighting (should I upgrade?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kay-bee19

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a 65gal tank stocked with various LPS (blastomussa, caulastrea sp, euphyllia sp, etc) and soft corals (ricordea, mushrooms, zoanthids, anthelia, xenia, etc). Lighting provided by three 96-watt power compact bulbs, and thus far these have been sufficient in regards to coral growth.

I have been considering switching to T5's (specifically Aquactinics' TX5 with five 39-watt HO bulbs with individual reflectors). I have no intentions of acquiring SPS or clams. Would 195-watts of T5 lighting be a significant improvement over my 288-watts of PC or is it pretty much an even swap? Also, would switching to T5's at this point be too much for my soft corals? I've got several ricordeas about 9"-10" from the top of the tank and xenia about 8" from the top.

As far as WPG it`s pretty well a wash but IMO when you go to the T5`s you`ll have more intensity of lighting that will make it a better system. You just need to figure out if it is cost effective.

Lance, I was just thinking that T5's are more efficient and would probably provide better lighting than my PC's, however I was concerned about intensity and potential adverse effects with my soft corals and perhaps blasto's.

Melosu58, I should probably know (but I don't!), what did you mean by "As far as WPG it`s pretty well a wash.."?

But yeah, I will have to figure out if T5's would be cost effective or not, especially since my PC's are doing the job.

I think he meant that when comparing what you currently have to what you suggested it's pretty much the same when you look at wpg. I could be wrong.

The T-5's would be cheaper after a couple years but they are about the same.

If you wanted to really upgrade you could get two 150 watt MH but that would be more expensive... If you wanted anemones and high light organisms I would go with two 250 watt MH's but you said you weren't interested in sps/clams

T5 is better than cf but not that much better. Certainly not better enough to replace working cf lights. Wait for your ballasts to burn out then switch.. :p

Yes I meant that really that lighting has really changed in the last several years. WPG used to be the big thing but with T5`s and MH`s and newer lights coming into the picture that just is not the same standard anymore. We or myself at least still use wpg as a very general guide line but with the addition of these new lighting, intensity or par and other lighting terms are added. IMO WPG is becoming outdated but I still use it as I stated above as a broad rule.

Back
Top Bottom