Lighting T5 or VHO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divensail

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking to see if anyone has any experience with the new T5's being promoted? I have a 65 gal and want to do as much coral and clams as possible, however, MH is not an option, I was out voted!

The depth of the water above the gravel is around 19". I am building a canopy right now and am looking at the 6x39 retro with individual reflectors. I have also considered the VHO 4x95 or PC 4x96. I know watts/gal are no indication but have no way to compare lux, so I thought I would ask the experts! I am new to this so any advice is greatly appreciated while my LR is cycling.

I have 4x39 T5 on a 46 gal and have no problems keeping softies and LPS. It seems very bright but I'm not sure if the 39 watt bulbs would be quite enough for SPS or clams, enough if placed high up. If at all possible I would go for the 54 watt bulbs.

Thanks, I would like to go to 54 watt, however, my tank is 36" and I can only find 39W which is why I was thinking of going with 6 bulbs. Has anyone seen any 36" of higher wattage? One store told me the IceCap ballast would cause the bulbs to burn brighter, but shorten the bulb life. I have been looking at the Sunlight Supply retro kit. I may need to get a hood though or rig my canopy to allow me to mount the bulbs closer to the surface. Any ideas on ideal height above the surface?

Ever thought of going with 96 watt PC bulbs? T-5s would be better than VHO. They put out alot of lumens for the wattage they are rated at!.

If you go for the T5's try to keep them at least 6" above the surface because they do get quite warm. A fan mounted in the canopy will definitely help.

I had originally eliminated PC's from some initial research thinking that they would give off less lux than VHO or T5's. Did I make an incorrect conclusion? A 4 x 96 PC would still work under my canopy. How does the PC compare to the T5?

I run PC'S on my tank and think they work quite well! I would not run them if you want SPS or Clams but for anything else they work quite well. The bulbs do last longer specterally than VHO and about the same as T-5.

Back
Top Bottom