Lighting Upgrade? need some filter advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK so my wife and I decided that we may want to upgrade the lighting on our 29 gallon, especially after seeing some of the pics. recently posted showing the CUSA 2x65 watt PC setup.

Here's my deal ... I currently run the Eclipse system 3 hood and haven't had a problem with it since set up! I think I could possibly modify this hood by doing some cutting and what not and keeping the filtration in place. I could possible add some Egg Crate to the top and the set the lighting on the legs and then on the edges of the Eclipse hood after the modifications.

OR

I can scrap the hood completely and run a HOB filter with better GPH turnover and throw the egg crate on top. Running plumbing for sump is out of the question right now as I'm not prepared to setup and figure out all of that (I don't think). I think the HOB filters suit my needs the best.

What's the best idea ... and if it's scraping the hood completely and going with a new HOB, what's the best way to get it started before removing the exsisting filtration?

Thanks
Jermz

anyone help me out? I want to get my lights ordered today so I need to figure out the filtration situation.

Thanks

I personally would get a HOB filter, and scrap the eclipse system hood, its great for an all-in-one and hardly any wires (for those of us that have wifes that can't stand wires, lol)

Their are a lot of great lighting systems out there, I personally have a coralife Aqualight Pro HQI / Compact Fluorescent / Lunar Light Fixture, which is freaking awesome!

I would suggest a wet/dry, but you can get a HOB filter and take most of the things you don't need and put in live rock instead.

Thats what I plan on doing with the HOB, replacing all the filter media with LR rubble and what not. I was able to swing the lighting upgrade with the wifey but the wet/dry sump idea is a no go. So I have to resort to whats allowed.

Now .... how do I get that HOB up to speed with the system before I remove the Eclipse hood?

I *think* that the Eclipse hood has enough room in the back to hang the HOB filter on, and add live rock. I don't exactly remember if there is enough room or not, adding live rock to your filter system shouldn't be a problem if your systems been up and running for a while. (im guessing it has)

which lighting system/or unit are you thinking about getting?

No, the Eclipse hood doesn't have any openings in the back except for where the wires come from so no way to add a HOB without taking the hood completely off. Which is where I run into my issue. My system has been running for about 11 months strong!

and right now I'm shopping around, but I have my eye on the Current USA PC 2x65 setup! Looks nice and there is some great prices around.

well right now ... now much of anything. I started it as a FOWLR tank and then purchased a Nanocube for my reef addiction, now the Nano is fully stocked and not wanting to purchase another tank to combat the MTS I figured I would convert the 29 into a reef as well. I plan on keeping softies such as zoa's, shrooms and xenia.

I see no reason why you can't simply take the lr from your tank and add it to your new HOB filter, of course just rinse it out before you expose it to your system. Obviously you would have to add the lighting at the same time. :wink:

So the all the beneficial bacterias and what not will survive the transfer to the new HOB with no problems? That is what I am worried about. I think I should be ok becuase in the tank I have about 65lbs. of LR so I know there is plenty of Bio-Filtration to sustain the tank alone .... but the tank has been running so great I don't want to cause any problems!

Thanks for your reply's!!!

Yes it shouldn't be a problem, and you could prolly earn some money by selling that old eclipse system hood up on eBay :wink:

Jermz79, I also don’t see too much trouble just switching out the lr from one tank to the other to maintain your bacteria. I would keep in old aerated SW if the transition isn’t instant. Also a quick dip in old SW before adding to the new tank is good. Try to match the ph/sg/temp of the 29 as closely to your nano before switching. If you have any filter media from the eclipse system you can add to the new HOB that would also help transfer the bacteria. Which HOB were you thinking about?

Even with the cured/old lr your tank will still probably go through “new tank syndrome” with a bit of algae break out until it stabilizes a bit.

Also since a sump is not possible right now if you have room you may want to consider a HOB refugium which you could add lr rubble and Chaetomorpha Algae for nutrient exportation and a place to cultivate pods. usa-aquarium has them for as little as $25 plus shipping.

I don't think my post is coming across clear.

What I'm doing is eliminating the Eclipse Hood and placing a HOB filter on the tank. In the Eclipse filter system I have only LR rubble, I would need to take that and put it in the new HOB and hope that it maintains the bacteria so I don't get the "new tank syndrome".

I'm not switching tanks or anything .... just upgrading the lights which is going to call for taking the Eclipse hood off and when I do this it will also eliminate the filter integrated into this system!

I hope that is more clear than before. I posted last night and I was a little tired!!!

Oh and thanks for the link to the HOB refugium!

Sorry, my little girl has been waking up at 2am for the last week and I’m not as clear headed either :lol: Your post was clear, I’m the delusional one ;)

Your lr rubble has almost 100% of the bacteria assuming you don’t use filter floss and changing out units shouldn’t be an issue whatsoever. If you do use filter floss it has some of the bacteria as well but doesn’t necessarily have to be added to the new HOB.

“New Tank Syndrome” is usually inevitable IME even with transferring bio-media :( It will probably be minimal and I wouldn’t worry about it but don’t be shocked if you see it.

That's too funny Tec. my little one has been up laately too, cutting teeth ya know. So I know how ya feel.

Thanks for the info. Now off to order my lights!

Any suggestions on HOB filters? Good/Bad ... just in case, my tank is 29 gallon 65lbs. of LR and currently FOWLR!

I’ve only dealt with the Magnum 250 and 350 personally for the last 10 years. Both are extremely reliable IMO and are fairly easy to maintain. If you do get that one you can just not use the media container that comes with it, put the middle tube in, load it up with lr rubble, and put the top on.

I’ve heard from others that the Marineland Emperor & Hagen AquaClear Power Filter are pretty good as well.

IME stay away from the Emperor filters. Since you have a good amount of LR the Bio-wheel will just cause nitrate problems. If you remove the Bio-wheel, the spray bar that powers it creates an enormous amount of bubbles. Good luck w/ the project.

Back
Top Bottom