Lights, in hood or on legs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkchaser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally have enough live rock that I can start upgrading my Lights. I currently only have the 40 watt 10K light that I started with, on my 55 gal tank. What I'm looking at getting is a 4x65watt pc light. I'm trying to decided which way to go. My Tank sits right next to the tv in the living room, and I'm worried that if I get a 48inch aqualight with legs, that the light from the 4 inch gap will bug the heck out of me, when sitting across the room watching tv. So I'm asking everyone out there with the light on the legs, how much light escapes from that gap. My other option is to buy a hood from a LFS, and get a retrofit kit for the lights. Any suggestions?

I would go with a DIY or store bought hood with large openings for feeding and introducing large corals. The light can escape out the back or throught he fan holes but not in front where it will annoy you.
I also suggest you consider tow 175W MH instead of the PC. Quite a bit more light and only 2 bulbs. Your reef will reward you with rapid growth and healthy corals.

Back
Top Bottom