lights lights lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJDevilsWinCup

Aquarium Advice Regular
im getting a 175 watt mh for my 33 gal. i was wondering would i be able to keep any type of coral? 175 watts on my 33 would give a bit more than 5 watts per gallon. if not how many watts should i got for, a 200 watt mh or maybe a 250?

You could keep about anything you wanted with a 175w. The watts per gallon rule is kind of a joke if you ask me.... there are many things to consider such as type of lighting, height over tank, depth of tank etc... so you cannot just say 5 watts of anykind of lighting per gallon will do the trick. If you get something that is a little more light demanding I would just place it a bit highet up in your tank. BTW, is your 30g a 3 foot tank? If it is one single MH maybe cast a bit of shadow on the extreme ends of your tank?

I have a 175W mh + PC ona 20L 12" tall, and am upgrading the lighting to 250W MH + PC next week. With an 18" tall tank, I would recommend a 250W minimum, and at that length...you might consider 2 X 250W ;)

Back
Top Bottom