ligth vs algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
HI all,

I have starrted to increase the time exposure for my lights now that the algae problem is starting to subside and now I am running into the same problem.
When I put new PC lights on my tank, I started to get a lot of green algae. It was suggested that I run the PC for just a couple hours a day and run my actinic for the whole day, and then start to slowly increase the exposure. I have increased to 2 hrs in the past 4 days for a total of 5 hrs a day, and the algae is returning.

Could it just be the perticular spectrum of my PC lights?
I am running PC 10,000K combo actinic\broad spectrum 65X2...and....
PC 55X2 actinic K? .
Is this a good combination or do you suggest a different mix that will fit my fixture that will eliminate this prob?

It is a 55g reef. ( my corals are doing fine with the reduced light conditions at this point.)

I have slowly been doing water changes with RO water that I can now purchase at my local market. How often can I safely do a change. My levels are fine. And I have been using RO for topoffs also. I have added another PH so now with my back filters and my PH's I turn over my tank
26 times an hour.

Any input would be great.

Howard

How often do you feed? What do you feed? Are you running a skimmer? Do you have a DSB?

If the nutrients are in the water, your going to get algae.

Back
Top Bottom