Lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercury64

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all ,I bought a lion fish sunday, he has not eaten yet ,does not seem to be interested in anything I put in there ,I even tried one of those probes that the fish can't see when its in the water, the fish guy told me to put food on it and move it around in front of the fish, I did that and my eel and trigger attacked it but my lion was not interested, thinking maybe a few feeders for now just to get some food in him while I work on his feedings
he is a small vul????? lion, any advise?

since he is new to the tank, he may still be adjusting. IME lions dont really eat every day anyway. did you ask when you bought him what he was being fed? if he was on feeders you will have to wean him off of them, its not hard ive done it a lot of times where i work. just give him a couple days and he will get adjusted and hungry and he'll go after it. if he is still refusing food after a week, then you might want to try feeders. most carnivourous fish only eat intermittently in the wild, and usually a big amount, so they are built to last around 14 days without food... but it wouldnt try starving the guy for two weeks :)

good luck!

I hear that Lions will accept almost anything, if they have been starved long enough. Seems cruel, but it really isn't when he is hungry enough, he will eat.

Once he does start eating, Don't feed him everyday. Lions do not need to eat every day. small amounts every other day, or every couple of days is fine.

I went through this last week. Got mine on a sunday and he didn'r eat until Friday. Now he eats everything I put in there. He evens eates the other fished crap. He's making it tough to feed the other fish. I'm calling him "Hover"

Then I did the wrong thing, I was so worried I went and bought some feeders, he is small so he has been eating one small fish a night, did I spoil him now ,what should I do
I was just so afraid he would die ,between the angel and tang bothering him and being new I wanted to make sure he was up to full strenth

My lion ate fairly quickly, but others it does take longer. But I'm still feeding him live ghost shrimp. All of my other fish are afraid of the lion, and back away when he's eating. Oh yeah what feeders are you feeding him?

Back
Top Bottom