Lion Fish Sting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhunter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We bought a used 125g tank the other day. It was used as a saltwater tank and contained a Lion Fish and a Stars and Stripes puffer. We took the tank home and cleaned it out, inside and out. After we got it done my fiancce and I each have sore spots on our hands, almost like we were stung by something. Even though we never came in direct contact with the lion fish, could we have picked up the ends of his spnes while cleaning the tank?

Lionfish venom triggers large, yellowish blisters.

Are they just sore spots, or large blisters?

I have one redspot in between my thumb and palm, she has one on the pad of her thumb.

BillyZ said:
what did you use to clean the tank and have you ever used that before?

I was thinking it, to.

But if it was cleaning solution, it wouldn't just be one spot... It'd be the entire area that was in contact.

true.

possibility there was something left from the puffer?

do you know what any of the other inhabitants of the tank were?

A lot of things come to mind. The Lionfish spines are not one of them.

Remnants of dead Bristleworms is the most likely.

some people actually have a sensitivity to the salt itself. If there was a heavy salt residue, that may be it.

It's more than likely the salt residue. My friend was helping me with my tank, and she had red spots on her hands after she had her hands in the tank. Nothing to worry about.

Anyways the lionfish venom has to be triggered from the spine to the gland for it to invenomate you.

Back
Top Bottom