Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I get back home in a few weeks I am thinking of starting a saltwater tank. I'm thinking of going with a 75 gallon just because I like the dimensions and it gives me some room to play with without being too much to manage. The main fish I want is a lionfish.

I would love to get a volitan but I know they get too big, so I'm debating between p. Antennata or p. Radiata.

Anyone have any experience with either or any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nope but just remember, with lion fish, they have a quite large mouth. If a fish can fit in it, it's food. Choose tankmates wisely.

Caleb

Na, h'es the same feeding wise as the Volitan Lion. Get em acclimated, and they'll just about eat anything you throw in there. They are all tough to get to eat prepared foods, but they will mow down any live foods they see go into the tank. I had one, thing was huge, had em in a 125g tank. I fed mine feeder goldfish. At the big stage he could eat 2 of the large size feeder goldfish.
Better to get them to eat prepared foods, its alot cheaper.

Na, h'es the same feeding wise as the Volitan Lion. Get em acclimated, and they'll just about eat anything you throw in there. They are all tough to get to eat prepared foods, but they will mow down any live foods they see go into the tank. I had one, thing was huge, had em in a 125g tank. I fed mine feeder goldfish. At the big stage he could eat 2 of the large size feeder goldfish.
Better to get them to eat prepared foods, its alot cheaper.

Yeah I'm a softy when it comes to live foods. I always feel bad for the feeders so I'll try to make mine get onto frozen and prepared foods.

You kept the Russell's or volitan in your 125? Any pictures of him? I love lionfish so much.

Russells fish was in my 125g. No pics. I had him a long time ago, before I went reef tank.
I like the coloring of the Russells over the Volitan, better coloring imo. Fed him live foods, got him fat really fast. He was the size of a large dinner plate when I sold him.

I'm thinking I'll be going with a 120 gallon now. What else did you have in your 125 with the Russell's?

I had a Spotted Grouper, Snowflake Eel, Lionfish, Harlequin Sweetlips and a Porcupine Puffer.

Lion fish aren't like long range browsers such as tangs. They are lazy and perfectly content to stay in the same spot for hours. They are ambush predators. I think just about any kind of lion would do fine in a 75gal. And that's coming from a proud member of the tang police!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

^ this^
I had two V. along with
1 minautus grouper
1 snowflake moray
in my 4' 120.
Eventually the eel bit both loins and they refused to eat!
Before hand all were eating cocktail shrimp!
Once the eel bit the lion the lion never ate again!
It is just the eel and mini now as the mini is pretty quick,but seems fully aware!
The eel is now handed shrimp with tongs so he does not harass the grouper.
I did this when the last lion was still alive but the stress must have still been too much.
I will admit I fear the day I have to remove the eel if it is alive!
He was no larger then pencil upon purchase(for under $20) and is now 2+'and an easy 1 1/2 inches thick after eating(6 large cocktail)!
I thought the lions were going to be the problem!
The mini is a BEAUTY!(and another lazy fish with a BIG mouth)

^ this^
I had two V. along with
1 minautus grouper
1 snowflake moray
in my 4' 120.
Eventually the eel bit both loins and they refused to eat!
Before hand all were eating cocktail shrimp!
Once the eel bit the lion the lion never ate again!
It is just the eel and mini now as the mini is pretty quick,but seems fully aware!
The eel is now handed shrimp with tongs so he does not harass the grouper.
I did this when the last lion was still alive but the stress must have still been too much.
I will admit I fear the day I have to remove the eel if it is alive!
He was no larger then pencil upon purchase(for under $20) and is now 2+'and an easy 1 1/2 inches thick after eating(6 large cocktail)!
I thought the lions were going to be the problem!
The mini is a BEAUTY!(and another lazy fish with a BIG mouth)

No surprises on the moray. They get big fast and they are the definition of "aggressive." I still am in love with them...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435098206.443187.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom