lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had my small (about 3"-4") Volitan Lionfish for nearly a month. I have to hand feed it (with a feeding stick, of course) small bits of the fresh shrimp from the grocery store. He cohabitates with three chromis, a maroon clown, regal tang, two hammer corals, red rose tip anemone, hermit and mithrix crabs, and turbo snails that have not been bothered by him. The LFS I bought him from recommended the smaller one because they tend to eat only something they can swallow whole and doesn't move too fast.

True, a small 3-4" lion won't bother your other fish. But some day he will be a big 10" fish, at which point he'll have his way with your tank, chromis and all.

All lions are reef safe as in they won't bother your corals. They will just eat any crabs or shrimp you add to your tank. I would strongly urge you not to get a volitans assuming you would be adding it to the tank in your signature. The volitans will get much to big and there are smaller lions that would do well in your tank. There are some nice dwarf lions. (fuzzy, zebra, fu manchu) But even most dwarfs will be a threat to any smaller fish in the tank. Most dwarf lions get up to 7 inches. The only one that doesn't is the fu manchu. It only gets to around 4 inches. (there is an awesome pic of this species in the SW end of the year photo contest) With any lion, your gobies are probably not going to fare well. The angel and butterfly will be ok with a dwarf. Good luck.

so i should just trade in my shrimps and crabs that i have in there, since they'll be just snacks

Back
Top Bottom