Lionfish Feeding!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phippsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone offer me some advic on what best to feed a Lionfish please. I bought it about a month ago and was advised by the seller to feed it frozen lancefish which it was fine with for the first few weeks but just recently it hasn't been eating anything. Does anyone know of any reason why it would have stopped eating or is this a common occurence. I have also been thinking of breeding guppies to feed it live whats your opinions on this good or bad????

Thanks in advance

Chris

Guppies, or any freshwater feeders, will not be good for a SW fish in the long run. They are used temporarily to get the fish eating, but he will need to be coaxed into eating frozen food. I had a lot of success feeding mine frozen krill soaked in garlic. Give that a try or you can try some live brine. HTH

tripper

When mine was done eating the damsels, I hand fed him shrimp that I thawed and soaked in Zoe and garlic. Have to make sure the pieces are small because the lion can choke. Also need to be careful you don't overfeed. He loves them....when he can get a piece before the shark ;-)

Right ok then it looks like soaking things in Garlic is the way ahead and I know mine is defiantely partial to shrimp as he has already eaten mine what type of garlic do you soak it in ?? i it just pureed garlic cloves or do you buy liquid stuff??

I use Garlic Guard which you should be able to buy at your LFS. Others may be able to give you a none LFS garlic remedy as well

Right ok then cheers for that I'll have a look at my LFS thanks for your advice

Mine will eat any type of food. Pellets, fish, krill, clams and scollops from the supermarket. He's easy to feed. But, will eat evertthing I put in there. So it makes it tough to feed the puffers.

I must have just the picked the fussy one then mine is right a picky bastard but i'll try some of the things off here tonight and then hopefully he will start eating I never knew that giving the food a scent would be so good but obviously it is

Sometimes I think, at least in most cases, the lions like to see the food moving. Mine will follow a scallop all the way to the bottom. But once it gets there he just stares at it until the current starts move it which is when he moves in for the "kill." That's why I think hand feeding works well. You get as close as you can, watching out for the obvious, and then drop the food in their sightline. If done right, you will entice him with the movement of the food.

Yeah mine just tends to watch the food but then he's missing the moving in for the "Kill" part and just moves for a chill out, but i'll give everything a go hes going to eat when he gets hungry i suppose anyway cheers for your advice

You can get a feeding stick (clear thin plastic) and wiggle the food in front of the lion. I would soak in garlic and try shrimp or something on the stick, just wiggle it. I have 2 small zebras not eating right now and they were on frozen so I am dropping ghost shrimp in every 2 weeks but first I feed the ghost shrimp cyclopezee to help with nutrition.

Kaye

for food your best bet is going to be a veriety of sea food will work feddinging live will shorten the life of your fish dermaiticly. all the foods mentioneed above are an exclent choice

Back
Top Bottom