Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SenseiSays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Setting up a reef tank, and wondering the question that is probably asked alot. How much live rock do I really need for a 66 gallon tank

I've heart 1/2 pound per gallon and 1 pound per gallon and even 2 pounds per gallon. I don't like alot of rock because I want the fish to be able to swim around the corals.

Thoughts?

It's mainly personal preference and size of Bioload that you have. More fish means more rock to keep up with the biological filtration. I'm more of an open look kind of person so I like to stick to 3/4-1lb per gallon but I also stock very lightly too.

I prefer the look of coral skeleton and very porous rocks. You needs less weight for the same size and even a better surface area than most man made rocks I've seen. Live rock is not only more expensive than dry rock, you end up paying for water weight as well.

IMP to get the most bio filtration you need one and a half to two lbs. of rock per gallon.The denser Caribbean rock gives better results than the lighter Fiji rock because it has more levels of nitrifing bacteria in the rock.
You can start off with the cheaper base rock and then seed with three or so pieces of the live rock.The base rock will become live in no time.You can still add some of the other types of rock if like.Using the denser Caribbean also means you need less pieces to achieve the lbs. per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom