Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
In looking to add live rock to my aquarium. I've found a few local people trying to sell. What's the difference between dry rock, cured live rock and then the real love rock. Is there a way to tell if it really love rock or cured or dry???

In looking to add live rock to my aquarium. I've found a few local people trying to sell. What's the difference between dry rock, cured live rock and then the real love rock. Is there a way to tell if it really love rock or cured or dry???
You mean live rock? Live rock is porous rock that contains de-nitrifying bacteria colonies. Dry rock is right from the quarry. It is dead and needs to be "cultured." Cured rock is live rock that has been harvested then allowed to cure. The curing process allows die off to happen and for the rock to get stable in its new environment. Both cured and uncurred rock is considered "live."

Last edited:
Live rock is a loose term applied to any rock which has spent time in the ocean and become infiltrated with bacteria and other living organisms. Uncured LR is typically rock taken directly from the ocean and shipped to the buyer directly. It usually has much more life on it than the cured LR, but much of that life will die and add organics to the tank. Dry rock is typically uncured rock taken from the ocean and power washed and allowed to dry out, or is somecases it is dry mined out of areas that used to be in the ocean. It is typically porous rock with no life on it. Depending on the methodology of collection, it may or may not add aorganics to the tank. Cured LR is rock that has been brought out of the ocean placed into the LR tank of an LFS, and all the life that isn't going to survive long term has tied and been cleaned off. The rock is no longer releasing organics into the water.

Frankly I have no idea what really love rock is? I assume you mean Live rock? It should be brownish or purplish in color and should be in saltwater when you view it.

Back
Top Bottom