live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, i know i made huge mistake. i neglected my aquarium and my live rock is over grown with cyano and hair algea. i broke down my 120 gal. and i moved all the live rock to my 100 gal sump (wich i disconnected from the tank) i basically am starting over. i've been doing daily water changes and connected the protien skimmer. but the algea is not going away. there is no light on.
at this point there is no live sponges or clams or anything for that matter on the rock except coralline algea.

does anyone have any ideas of what i can add to the water or what else i should do.

thanks so much

mark

mark

give us your phosphate levels. how much circulation in the tank? cyano comes from phosphates and low circulation (dead spots)

take the rock out, scrub it with a toothbrush to get all the algae off, rinse, repeat as needed. Oh and do water changes.

I did that to my friends 120, he had cyano everywhere:

I cleaned off all the rocks with a toothbrush,
snagged off anything that was floating around in the aquarium with a fish net,
took out any sand that had cyano on it,
emptied out the sump,
cleaned it out,
put all new sw in the sump (about 10 gallons),
did a huge WC on main (about 50%),
then put phos-ban in the tankwater and increased the tank flow.

end cyano.

i haven't tested the phos level, but i have 5 aquaclear 800 ph and one mag 18 in the sump to irrigate. now, i don't have any thing going on in the aquarium right now (i'm going to work on it this week). the water is pretty green i was going to just empty out the water and start over. what do you guys think?

thanks

mark

if all that was in the aquarium is Live rock sand and water you can start over if you want too.......... my water was green like that in the beginning too. I put my skimmer on it and the green turned into crystal clear.

I probably wouldn't start over if I were you though. just wet skim instead of dry and do a big WC.

Back
Top Bottom