Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does live rock help the filtration in the tank? I have a 45 gallon eclipse with two bio wheels and standard florescent lights. can my tank support live rock and will it benefit me? Thanks in advance.

LR provides natural filtration of the water. It does this because there are millions of tiny organisms encrusted in the rock that filter the water. There is never really any problems with people being able to keep LR. You don't need any light to keep it alive either.

So go ahead and get some LR, it's a great way to filter your water. Shoot for 1-2 lbs of it per gallon.

Live rock serves as biological filtration. Your tank can support live rock, but if you intend on keeping coral and/or anemones, the Eclipse top would need to come off. Would have to come off for a skimmer or refugium anyway. Eclipse systems are generally meant for FW systems. They are inappropriate for marine. The tank is fine. Would just need a new lighting system and a skimmer or refugium. There are internal protein skimmers, but these are a pain the butt to deal with.

Whether you're looking into doing a reef set up or not and just want to provide more bio space, any rock that is inert will do just fine. Inert rocks won't change water chemistry like lava rock and lace rock. These will grow bacteria on them too. Live rock is already impregnated with bio bacteria. That's all live rock is...rock already populated with nitrafying bacteria. Doesn't neccessarily need to come out from the ocean :) Just get some lace and lava rock and set it in water flow. Eventually it becomes live rock. Cheaper too...LOTS cheaper...LOL.

Back
Top Bottom