Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just trying to figure out what liverock would be best for the 85 gallon freshwater i'm converting, I really want to use uncured lr because its alot cheaper than cured, and because it would be put it in during the cycle i'm not worried about the ammo spike, the "goodies" that you're supposed to get appeal to me, i'm just concerned about the pests, especially mantis', what are chances of getting unwanted pests if I ordered 40kg, and is a hyposalinity dip reccomended or will it just add more stress besides the cycle?

I really would appriciate some help as i'll be getting it in a few weeks.

TIA

Honeslty if you ask me the difference between cured and uncured worthless. If you're cycling the tank with the rock you want uncured rock. There will be enough die off from the LR to get your cycle into full swing, so don't let them trick you with the cured junk. I'm assuming you'll be having that LR delivered as you said ordered, so even if it was cured before it was sent with all the die off you'll have during shipping it won't be cured anymore.

Is it hypo, or hyper? Either way if you dip the rock in water with a sg of 1.042 or something ridiculous, any Mantis will shoot right out of it. Wear gloves, and for your sake, don't try to catch the Mantis with your hands. :p

xkenneth, said it all. Definitely wear gloves.

Thanks for the replys, I've actually found a website that I can get cured rock £20 cheaper than the uncured I was looking at, but i think i'll pay the extra 20 and get it uncured, and hope that threre may be some better life on it,

Definitely wear gloves

I read mantis' can crack glass, if I did get one any chance it could break 10mm glass? :?

Also will the high sg dip definately not harm the life on the rock, because it will probably lose alot during the shipping... and the last thing i want to do is pay £300+ on dead rock ?!?

TIA

high sg dip definately not harm the life on the rock

You will already have a little die off anyway. That dip is to shock any nasty critters. You don't have to leave it in there too long. I'm not really sure how long you would dip it.

I do have to aplogize for the English used in my earlier post. That is exactly what happens when I write an article at 6 in the morning before work, right after I've fallen out of bed. I'm not so sure how you will go about getting good prices on LR in the UK, living in Houston I seem to be in the center of all things reef. I would definately go for the "uncured", and by reading your response the "cured" costs less? As for the dip, no longer then twenty or thirty seconds should be necessary, fifteen would probably be optimal. You could also just think about it like this, if it's been sitting in the air inside some packaging for a day atleast, what damage could a little over-salty water do that the air already hasn't? I'm absolutely too lazy to bother translating meters into inches at the moment, but I've heard of Mantis Shrimp breaking glass less than a quarter inch.

Yeah, I was looking to buy the uncured for around £320 but found another site that sells cured for £300, I'll still go with the uncured though, I could probably get cured rock really cheap by looking at the ads online (found someone earlier selling it at £3.50/kg), but I can't be bothered and think i'll just start with 40kg uncured rock.

I've heard of Mantis Shrimp breaking glass less than a quarter inch

Oh :? ... i'll think I will definately go with the high sg dip!

Back
Top Bottom