Live Rock Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceanic29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 29 gallon is now 5 months old and my live rock and base rock is growing green and purple hair like stuff. One piece of live rock at the top please see picture has grown a pretty sizeable moss like bush. My question is what is it and is it good for the tank. Should I remove or continue to let grow. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• DSCN1771.JPG
    DSCN1771.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 152
It's hair algae you mite want to remove it as it can take over your tank Got any hermits crabs they will eat some but no were near that much

Thanks everyone for your responses. At first I thought it was kind of interesting but I don't think I want it overtaking the tank. I will work on removing it. Thanks again.

Take the rock out and in some tank water pull it off and then scrape that part off the rock really good. Throw in some blue leg hermits and keep up on wc and feed just enough for the fish every other day.

Daryl,
I buy my saltwater at the LFS. I do 5 gallon water changes every two weeks. I top off with fresh water that I also buy at the LFS. I am going to try to go to the LFS today to get them to test my water. Should I ask them any questions about the water they are using? Thank you.

Cut your feedings and your lighting. Pull the rock and scrub it down in another bucket of salt water. You should use the water you just pulled out. NEVER EVER use tap water or DI/RO water to do this. It will kill all the bacteria on your rock and cause another "cycle"

Back
Top Bottom