Live rock hitch hiker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
anyone ever get muscles in their live rock? I recently purchased a rock with many polyps on it. I also noticed a muscle attached to it. I figured it was just the shell and there wasn't any life in it. Once I got it home and acclimated the rock, I placed it in the DT. After about 20 minutes, I noticed it was open. I payed close attention to it for about 20 more minutes and noticed it snapped closed whenever a fish would pass closely. It's alive! I am shocked. I never would have known for them to survive in an aquarium environment. Does anyone know how to care for these things? Its pretty cool and I would like to see it live.

Take a picture of it and post it up. i think i know what you are talking about and if my assumption is correct... they are filter feeders so you don't have to worry about them.

I have about three of them in mine. I just leave them be and I don't do anything other than normal tank duties for them and they've been alive for about a year or so. Not sure on the proper names for them, though.

I'd be guessing more a muscle than a clam.

Its a saltwater mussel I have 3 in my tank that came on my live rock cool part is they are all together and most times when one snaps shut they all do lol

Its a saltwater mussel I have 3 in my tank that came on my live rock cool part is they are all together and most times when one snaps shut they all do lol

I recently went Scuba diving at an Oil Rig. Down about 75-85 feet there's huge muscles and Scallops. They all do that when something big gets too close, we were sneaking up to the Scallops while open, with a frosting knife, and slitting the connective part to the shell then taking them out and cleaning off the stomach and other organs. Good eaten, garlic and butter with some white wine... :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom