live rock in qt tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidlyme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sure this is a goofy question....but would it be ok to set up a qt tank with live rock....then move the live rock into the main tank when needed?
Also...if I had to medicate in the qt tank could the LR be put back into the qt tank safely if I wash it out? I would change the filter media also.
It's one of those plastic/acrylic Nanocubes.
Sorry, I know it's goofy...just wondering anyone's thoughts on this before I buy the LR.

Most medications can soak into the silicone of a tank and leach back into the tank later. I don't know if an acrylic tank has any silicone or if the acrylic itself could absorb the chemicals. Why do you want to move the lr back and forth? You always risk cross contamination any time you move something from one tank to another or use equipment on more than one tank. The medication could also settle into the actual filter itself I would think. A qt tank should be exactly that, a qt tank.

I wouldn't waste good lr using it for qt. You can use decorative rock if you want. LR would be trashed once you medicate.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom