Live rock of out water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend is giving me her 30-40lbs of live rock that's been out of the water for a week now. I'm pretty sure that's not live anymore, right? Also, If I'm getting those rocks how much work do I have to so before putting it in my 55 gal tank?

She is also giving me her sand but idk if I should take it?

Help pls

Id say everything is pretty much dead.... go over it lightly with a bush rinsing it in saltwater. then put it in a tub with a heater and a powerhead for a week or more doing a few water changes to "cure" it. This is the process I use and havent had problems but others might have different opinions.

As for the sand I would pass depending how old it is. If you stir up old sand it can release nitrates. Plus sand loses its ability to retain elements in the water over time I hear.

Is your tank new?

My tank has been up an running since August with the base rocks and sand and started to add fishes first week of September. Everything is pretty healthy at the moment.

Do I need to put any ammonia? Just like cycling the tank? Or its completely a different method. So heater and power head in the tub for how long?

I'll be getting the rocks tomorrow but I want to know what to do with it beforehand

Noooooo ammonia. The reason to cure it is to get rid of the die off that has occurred on the rock from being out of the water. Like I said clean the rock then in a tub with heater, powerhead, water changes. I would say Atleast a week. its been awhile since i did it. Google curing live rock. Might find some good info.

h8z2luze said:
Noooooo ammonia. The reason to cure it is to get rid of the die off that has occurred on the rock from being out of the water. Like I said clean the rock then in a tub with heater, powerhead, water changes. I would say Atleast a week. its been awhile since i did it. Google curing live rock. Might find some good info.

This is right on IMO. You don't need to do much of anything except be patient for a few weeks while the die off gets overcome by new bacterial growth. Monitor ammonia, etc. when its zero, you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom