live rock or coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabassi

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello , a month ago I purchased a piece of live rock? from the the LFS in the live rock bin, it looked like a piece of coral ( thats why I bought it) there was nothing on it, now all of a sudden it is turning burgundy color and looks a little furry, can this possibly be a piece of coral? i did notice a few weeks ago it has a few feather dusters on it , any ideas
Thanks

hello , a month ago I purchased a piece of live rock? from the the LFS in the live rock bin, it looked like a piece of coral ( thats why I bought it) there was nothing on it, now all of a sudden it is turning burgundy color and looks a little furry, can this possibly be a piece of coral? i did notice a few weeks ago it has a few feather dusters on it , any ideas
Thanks

The rock in the ocean is dead coral, and that's what you have. The color you are seeing is algae and probably some cyano if you are just starting to cycle your tank. Maybe some coraline algae, hard to say from the descriptors but it isn't living coral.

live rock

Hi , the tank is 3 months old and this piece is the only one that has that color, just thought it was odd and looks like a brain?
Thank You

live rock / coral

please let me know if you can view
thanks

Ah I see in your profile. That is a skeleton of a brain coral with algae or cyano building up on it

live rock /coral

perfect thank you, so is that algae good or bad?

If its a hard algae it's coraline and good. If its slimy its Cyanobacteria and sign of most likely too much nutrients and needs to be remedied.

live rock/ coral

ok I will put my hand in there now and feel it, also I do not have a protein skimmer, and a fluval 404 canister I know its wrong, but can't find a sump to fit under my stand 36x18 ( don't yell) LOL I am working on that I have a 65 gallon tank with 50 lb of live rock, 3 blue/green chromis, 1 yellow tang 1 blenny 1 goby 1 dottieback
thats all I have in the tank, all is well and clear and healthy, except this ? ,, any Ideas thanks

A canister can be fine if you maintain it properly. The cyano is coming from nutrient issues, which might mean it is building up nitrates and possible over feeding.

my levels are perfect
I just did a test
and my, LFS checked yesterday and that was good, but I think I am feeding too much, also just put my hand on that rock, it seems hard, but there is some of that on the sand?
Thanks
Again
Frank

it is about the same color, but it feels hard and not slime, most people on the forum thinks its that, but every bit of info helps
thanks

live rock/ coral

no, I rubbed it with my finger in the tank and nothing came off, pretty solid?
any idea's
thanks
Frank

Back
Top Bottom