live rock question (experts, please read)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting some live rock from a friend that abandon his tank. It has been sitting in saltwater without heat, probably been around room temp for months with no light or water flow on it. Will this rock still have benifical bacteria alive in it? Will I need to go through the curing process?

I would cure it just to be safe!

How does it look? how about smell? The no heat, no light part isn't as bad as the no flow part. That means the tank has sat stagnant for however long and by now I'm sure is no longer live rock.

I really doubt it has any bacteria left. I would treat it as uncured LR. Like Jermz said, the lack of water flow, nutrient export, etc, likely has killed all bacteria.

Thanks, by looking at the rock it appears to have some life on it. I put it in a new trash can with some established live rock, fresh saltwater, a large powerhead and a heater. Alls I need now is to add a skimmer. I will let it cure for a couple of months. I am in no hurry.

You need to feed it. Putting it with established rock is good, but it is only the first step. Toss a shrimp in there too. Make sure it periodically gets some kind of food source.

michealprater said:
I will let it cure for a couple of months. I am in no hurry.

music to my ears. too many people try to rush it...but I know you're not a novice fishkeeper :)

Back
Top Bottom