Live rock suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll be stopping after work to pick up my live rock and I have a couple of questions. I'd like to make things more coral friendly in this tank.....I seem to have limited areas to tuck corals into in my 72 gallon tank. My questions are:

1-can I stack rock up against the back of the tank? I'd like to have my creatures out front.
2-how difficult is it to drill live rock? I'm thinking of anchoring this rock using a rod (drill through the rock and thread the rod through the stacks of rocks).
3-is there a rule of thumb for selecting live rock? ie-mainly medium sized with a few smaller ones for fill-large for bottom and then small? suggestions?
4-several of the live rock pieces don't have any color to them.....my other tank has plenty...can I scrape off the algae and siphon it off and then dump the algae and water into the new tank? or is there an easier way to do this that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks very much for your endless help folks! :)

1. Yes you can but make sure that it can't move.
2. Not difficult at all. A masonry bit and you are in business.
3. This is totally up to you, and how you want your tank to look
4. Coraline algae doesn't like air so doing that would probably kill it. You can seed the new tank with a few small pieces of rock from your other tank to help things along.

1. I would limit rockwork against the back as this becomes a stagnant zone where mulm and other deposits sit and rot. It also limits the territorial spread unless the tank is very large. If you decide to build a back wall then add a powerhead or two to alleviate "dead spots," but make sure it can be retrieved when necessary.
2. Nylon threaded rods and nuts for anchor support and Devcon (usually permanent) to bind them.
3. As long as the heavy/large rocks are on the bottom the design is up to you as Ziggy mentioned. Bommies, craters, lagoon, etc. My favorite thing to do is check out reef sites (I prefer seapics.com) and study the rock formations off actual reefs and attempt to recreate or justify on a smaller scale.
4. Uncured live rock will eventually spread corralines onto unexposed rockwork and aquarium surfaces; otherwise, you can scrape the corraline from another tank, but this may or may not be a lengthy jumpstart.

If you decide to build a back wall then add a powerhead or two to alleviate "dead spots," but make sure it can be retrieved when necessary.

This is what I do. I have mine on the back glass. Forces the fish out front. I agree that some flow is needed in the back.

Man! I am happier than a clam at high tide!! I think it made all the difference this time....------> I <----- picked out the rock and it fits so well together I didn't even have to drill it or anything. I got it for $3.00 a pound, fully cured! WhooHoo!! :multi:

img_895444_0_d6fde990bbc2a9c39df9a8e6ad35d453.jpg

AND.....since today is his last day...he threw this in for free! Not sure what it is but it's about the size of my palm.

img_895444_1_5d8c6a4581cacc28b718f13e1139da13.jpg

Likely instant cycle with that rock. Check water readings for the heck of it though IMO.

What's the plan for fish? Might be ready to add the cleanup crew and that first fish.

What are the "knobs" on the top of the lighting fixture?
I do like the rock work and sand.

What are the "knobs" on the top of the lighting fixture?
I do like the rock work and sand.

Those knobs are an 'oops' in the picture....they're from an antique wall clock (that really needs to be moved).

Wow, you're observant....you must have young children!

LOL, no young children (want to adopt, just like I was), I thought it was a new "gizmo" and was interested.
Antique wall clock, my dad has a clock repair shop, and a wood workshop....hmmm, maybe a new tank stand design...well, maybe after he helps me build new cabinets for our kitchen.....

Those knobs are an 'oops' in the picture....they're from an antique wall clock (that really needs to be moved).

Wow, you're observant....you must have young children!

Antique wall clock? I'm still not picturing that. I think we need a wider angle shot.

Even with a brand spanking new tank, you already have a coral in it. You need help. :rolleyes: (My guess is it's a species of Turbinaria... medium to high flow, medium to high lighting - pretty non demanding.)

I think they are the bottom of the chains that holds the weights (makes it easier to pull) that makes the clock "tick"....I agree show us the clock!!! Remember, we require pics!

I think they are the bottom of the chains that holds the weights (makes it easier to pull) that makes the clock "tick"....I agree show us the clock!!! Remember, we require pics!

I was thinking that too, but wouldn't they be at different levels? Unless at their extremes they go way below the light fixture.

(Sheesh... I gotta get a life.:rolleyes:)

Or if the clock is no longer running....This IS your life Kurt!

Ah HA!!! They are strickly decorative......and the clock still works. It's been in our family for over 125 yrs. And when I get home I'll bore you both with pics of it.

Oh, Scott...as for my comment about being observant and young children.....being observant is a necessary survival skill......just ask Kurt!

I would say that it is a Monti cap rather then the chalice. I don't see any mouths on it. But sometimes pics can be deceiving.

Back
Top Bottom