live rock things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are also known as sea fans and some of them are photosynthetic while others require feedings. Here is a link with more info

Gorgonians

I'll have to find the picture of mine and post it for you

Yep even if a fish brushes against it it sucks the polyps in and the "stalk" looks like a greyish purple
I feed mine cyclopeeze and when some flows by the polyps they close like a hand and grab the food and then open back up to grab more.

They are a soft coral and some are photosynthetic while others are not and require feedings. By looking at your pictures it looks pretty close to mine and I believe mine is photosynthetic so I have it fairly close to the top of my tank. I do however feed mine every other day with cyclopeeze and it seems to be doing well.
Because yours is small, it is hard to be sure what kind it is so feeding it will not hurt.

He sometimes is open sometimes its closed. it was staying out at night but I've got a worm or something that comes out at night and touches it. I've got several sets of long white tentacles that poke, out at night and feel around and its usually 3 or 4 tentacles in a cluster. Never see anything else of it. But they feel around and it makes it retract

You have a closeup of an end of yours? Do you know what kind yours is?

Ok I looked at another part where someone was asking how to take care if them. Identical except my stalk part is kinda white cream colored and the " things" are kinda purple brown. But looks identical except for color and mine is short but the" hand things " looked identical

Gorgonians are not a soft coral. They build a stony skeleton.
I don't think this is a gorgonian.
That said, I would like to re-word my statement to add that branching gorgonians are the ones that build a calcium based skeleton, but encrusting gorgonians, like the common "green star polyp" do not.

I don't think this is a gorgonian.
That said, I would like to re-word my statement to add that branching gorgonians are the ones that build a calcium based skeleton, but encrusting gorgonians, like the common "green star polyp" do not.

So my nitrite is down from 5 to about 1. is it common for the levels to change so quickly?

A piece of live rock is spitting? I'm guessing this is something boring into the rock. You see the dust/debris coming out of it.

I'm finding ash looking mounds so I'm assuming something is boring into it. No snails. There are long skinny translucent worms coming out of ash mounds. Also have groups of white worm like tentacles coming out all over the rock. They have even spread to the dead rock and when I shine light they hide they are in groups of 2 - 5 and my brittle star has got some long legs they are like 3 inches sticking out and I can't see his body

Back
Top Bottom