Live sand cleaning (and sifting invert.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater T

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for a good invertebrate that will eat detritus and algae. I have a 20 gallon with live sand and live rock which will be a reef tank. I would also like something that will "sift" my sand to prevent dead spots. Also must be completely reef safe any suggestions???

Thanks

I agree with the nassarius snails. Most LFS will have them available and they do a great job of stiring the sand up. I have about 25 in my tank.

You can't go wrong with nassarius snails. Add some margarita, Cerith and Nerite snails to round it out.

If you have room and no compatability issues, the Bullet Goby comes highly recommended. Anthony Calfo calls it a very eneficial/must have fish for any reef tank.

Agree wholeheartedly with the others about the nassarius snails. The little ones and the big ones are both great. I just picked up a Fighting Conch this weekend and have to say it seems to be doing a great job with the sand also. Plus they're cool to watch with that long snout of theirs!

Hara said:
If you have room and no compatability issues, the Bullet Goby comes highly recommended. Anthony Calfo calls it a very eneficial/must have fish for any reef tank.

(y) (y)

Narsiruss snails are good but as Lisa said the bullet goby is the best. Mine sifts all day long and keep the sand white all the time.

Back
Top Bottom