Live sand from the lfs, a waste of $?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I orded 160 lbs of dry aragamax sand, and had planned on buying 3-20lb bags of packaged LS from the lfs to seed the sand bed. Are these good at all? I know they probably have the some beneficial bacteria, but they won't have any of the worms, will they? I know that a few cups from an established tank is another option, but I simply don't know anyone who has one. ( I live in Los Angeles. Anyone from the area wanna donate some? LOL I didn't think so) Anyway, thanks for any replies, and even if you don't.

I bought LS from my LFS and it had all kinds of stuff in it. And my tank cycled in like 2 weeks. I think it was money well spent IMO!!

Personally, I don't think the bagged LS is a good investment. You're not getting anything that won't naturally develop in the sand anyway...at least as far as the bacteria goes. Perhaps the LFS has some established reef tanks that they would sell you a pound or two of sand out of? I don't think you'd have a lot of trouble finding someone who would part with some sand in your area...there have to be thousands of reef tanks in LA :). Another option might be to buy a couple of detrivore packages that will include bristleworms, pods, ect... and add them to your "dead" sand. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom