Live Sand HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
HELP!!! I just filled my beautiful 46 Gallon Bow Front aquarium with crystal clear salt water and added some Carib Sea Ocean Direct sand and OMG made the tank look like crap!! After 3 days the water went from brown to a very very cloudy color. I have been running 2 aqua clear 50's to try and hp but no help. I turned off the pumps thinking the sand would settle but no. Also its this very very thick foam at the top of the water that came from adding the sand. Out of frustration of this live sand I siphoned all the water out but left enough to cover the sand. and cleaned the side and top of the tank to remove all the foam. Now i see this milky colored film on top of the sand which gets kicked up very easy. Should I fill the tank back up or just rinse the sand and use a biological additive to make the sand live again. I never had this problem with freshwater lol. Help please!!! :banghead:

Fill the tank with new salt water put a plate on the sand bed and slowly pour the water in. This will help with not stirring up the sand
Take the media out of your filters and fill them with poly-fill, run them for a few days it will remove most of the silt from the tank. After it clears put the filter media back in and watch for a cycle as most "Live sand" is really dead :banghead:

My tank did this as well. Give it time and it will settle. As a tank cycles, the bacteria that grows in the sand make it "sticky" and wont do this as badly. This is why you should rinse your sand well to get rid of the tiny particles.

Don't rinse live sand. Just give it time. You may want to turn the powerheads off while the sand settles.

Back
Top Bottom