Livestock purchasing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In all the reading I have done, I have understood that when you select a fish, you have to look at the eyes, make sure it is eating well, not too skinny, etc. What about purchasing fish online? You can't see the actual fish-do you have to take the vendor's word that the fish you get will be healthy?

zoe said:
What about purchasing fish online? You can't see the actual fish-do you have to take the vendor's word that the fish you get will be healthy?

Yep, pretty much you gotta depend on the vendor. Most online fish retailers have an arrive alive guarantee, as well as a stay alive (usually 5-7 days) guarantee. Just one of the reasons it is so important to quarantine all new fish.

I'm not sure what you mean by no good. There is really no guarantee on the health of the livestock. The trauma of shipping could cause an outbreak of ick or bacterial infection. If the fish has ragged fins or is very skinny..etc... You can call the vendor and they will more than likely attempt to make it right, either a credit or send you another animal. Shipping it back probably won't be an issue unless it's dead. Overnight shipping is expensive and they won't want to pay it, it will be cheaper for them to send you another ne. If the fish is dead, they will usualy require the body of the fish, or the tail and you will send that priority mail rather than overnight. If you deal with reputable vendors you shouldn't have a problem.

Its very important when getting 'mailorder fish' to follow the acclomation procedures very very closly. The fish have been in a very small bag in total darkness for atleast 3/4th of a day. Also depending on the time of year the water temp in the bags could have fallen to a very low temp level.

So proper acclomation is very important.

Back
Top Bottom