Logistics question......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am moving my 55 into a 125 and need some reassurance. If I am transferring my whole 55 (60lbs of live rock and about 45 lbs of sand) into the 125, and keep all my filter pads and stff in with the good bacteria, and I don't add any livestock, I should not see a terrible rise in levels should I? I figure if there is enough bio-filtration in the 55 to handle it's current load then it will be ok in the 125. I am also adding 100 lbs of base rock and 150-200 lbs of sand, but with the old to seed the new that should be ok right?

BTW, this will be a FOWLR and the only reason I am worried is the tank is going in the same place the 55 is, so I have to try and do this in one day if possible.

Thanks for any assurance!

Take the 55 down and put things in rubbermaid tubs thru the room/house. :) your wife will love you for this. Remove the 55 and in comes the 125. Put the new southdown sand in first then scoop in your old sand on top. You might see a slight ammonia rise due to the disturbance of the sand bed but the existing batera should take quick work of this.

Then add your LR back. Remember to have your LR covered during this process in the tubs or buckets.

Once the LR is in place start t ofill with water. Use the 55 gal from the old tank first and then use new water for the balance.

Should take a day like you said and the tank should be ready for additional critters within 2 days.

So should I put the current fish in the tank that day or what do I do with them?

BTW, Fishfreek you rule! You always have a good answer.

Use your best judgement. When the tanks setup and running again after the conversion check your water quality after a few hours. If your ammonia is high then it might be best to check it again after a few hours.

Gotta weight the worse of the potental two evils. You have your fish in a tub with hopefully a heater and a PH vs having them in the larger tank. The tub wont have good filtration so water quality will start to drop in there after the better part of a day.

Back
Top Bottom