Long weekend feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going away for a long weekend and I don't have anyone to drop around to feed my fish so I was wondering if there is anything I can feed them that will last a couple of days feeding ??? :?:

You should be fine without feeding them for a couple of days. They do make automatic fish feeders, but sometimes they have a tendency to over feed them. 2 days is nothing. Sometimes I go 2-3 days without feeding them. No worries.

Mike

IMHO, depending on the type of fish you have, you may not be able to go that long without feeding them. Result may be stressed out fish and prone to disease. The auto feeders they sell allow you to adjust the amount of food to feed and the better ones allow you to program one or two feedings a day. I have used this successfully when I go away. I have a Tang that is a voracious eater. she would never forgive me for starving her for two days :) HTH

fenner's book specifically says the best thing for your fish is to hide all your food, or even throw it all away so no one will feed them when you're gone.

at a minimum, package however much food you want fed and leave only that out for your caretaker.

Your fish will be fine for a couple of days without feedings. IMO, people way over-feed their fish as it is. This contributes to high waste and nitrates. I feed mine once every two or three days. Letting yours go for a couple of days will be fine. Just feed them before you go and right away when you get back.

I agree w/ everyone else. It won't be a problem- but if you do have a tang I would really try to get someone to just clip some nori to the side of the tank once a day, one or two times while your gone. (long weekend I'm assuming means 3-4 days??)

Back
Top Bottom