Looking for a good calcium test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I've been looking around I just don't know which one to buy. You guys always have good advise, which is easiest to read? Phosphates test as well. Which is the easiest to read? Thanks a million.

Rachel

Ok might I update on this post? I am having problems matching the colors of some the tests. I can't tell what the color is or what it's supposed to be. I do consider myself a intelligent person. I'm so tired of second guessing.

I think it is pretty much agreed that Salifert (sp) makes the best test kits. Thats what I use. HTH

I use Seachem's calcium test and I recommend them. The only reason I usually don't get Salifert is because its a little bit expensive my my budget and they don't have it at the lfs. But Seachem's is definitely good for your money.

Its really easy to use. In fact I can tell you the directions off the top of my head. Put a sample of your water plus a sample of ro/distilled water into vial. Add a drop of reagant 1 into the vial. Swirl and wait 30 seconds. Add a spoonful of the powdered reagant 2 and swirl to mix. The sample will turn true pink. Heres the fun part. Take a syringe and measure 1 ml of the calcium reagant. Keep adding drops until the sample turns true blue. My house has white walls so I turn the lights on really bright and look though the vial near a wall.

The results are given in tenths of a ml so you could easily determine half ml results. Plus it comes in a nice little package so everything is stored neaty.

i'll support this also. i am using salifert but it is complicated and expensive and difficult to interpolate.

i've been using much of seachem's suppliments et. al. and i'll use their test kits from now on.

the choice is yours -- do more research.

I have both the Calcium and Phosphate tests by Salifert.

The Ca is the easiest to read, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist for this one. The solution goes from a bright pink -> purple -> blue and it's done!

The Phosphate is a little trickier. If you have no trace of phosphates whatsoever, it's a dull milky white. But, if you have a little bit of phosphates, there are like 6 different shades of light blue to figure out. You just get as close as possible with the latter.

HTH

BTW, if you are looking to purchase your Salifert tests online, here is a linky that compares the major online sellers with their prices on Salifert Test Kits. You'll be amazed at the price differences. You may also find out that you can now actually afford Salifert.
The list is updated twice a month. Get it here ---> http://www.geocities.com/hans1976/Salifert.html

Back
Top Bottom