Looking for coraline close ups...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have a photo of coraline CLOSE UP? I mean really close up. I'd like to see the texture of it. I have many, many pink and purple spots on my new ( 1 week) LR, and some are spreading and popping up in new places, but I dont think its all coraline. I am seeing some spots that are about the same color, but kind of spikey.. low, nearly flat with maybe a small rise in the center of each grouping, with small, short in proportion spikes. There is a poor pic in my gallery, not a bad photo, just hard to tell what it is, as they are small and hard to get a side view of them.

TIA

Here is a pic of two types of coralline I have in my tank. There are others. It comes in several colors and textures. I don't believe those things in your gallery are any type of coralline though. They are more likely sponges or perhaps even some type of coral. If they don't get any bigger, I'd go with ball sponge. HTH

I appreciate that photo.

Are the sponges good, bad indifferent? Are they a product of my tank being new? How much die off should I expect, if any? Are they an indication of water quality, too much of something, not enough of another?

Sorry for the rapid fire questions. I want to get to know my LR before I add livestock. =)

Sponges are good for the most part. There are some sponges that can be a nuisance but ball sponges are pretty harmless. They just filter your water so in that way, they are a benefit. They are pretty common on liverock and are pretty hardy. I don't know how long your tank has been up and running but I wouldn't expect them to die off. As for being an indication of water quality, I don't think so. Sponges can tolerate lots of different quality levels.

Thanks for the quick response. I love their color, so I was hoping they would stick around a while =)

I did a thread on sponges asking everyone to post pics of there's. I find them fascinating and they come in so many colors and shapes. I'll see if I can find it and post the link just so you get an idea. :D

Fluff .... just so you know .... I STILL CAN'T SEE ANY IN MY TANK :( :( :( :( ... I have searched and searched! :x ... I'm sad, I want sponges!

lol I'm sorry Jermz. Maybe getting a new piece of liverock will help seed the tank with some.

Thank you! I will try to get some better photos of them, my tank is new.. DOB is 12/17/05, LR was added 12/24/05, so ANYTHING that is in there is teeny tiny =)

Ahh, give it some time. In a few months, you'll be amazed at the things that are growing in there. :wink:

I think I have a couple of sponges but I dont have a camera yet, so.. UGHHH!

Back
Top Bottom