lost my first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redneckgearhead

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all. I have just lost my first fish, a blue damselfish. As soon as i put him in the tank, my maroon clown instantly started harassing him, I hoped it would pass and it was just the maroon asserting his authority(i know the maroon is a damsel). I fed them and the damsel ate just fine and the next day the maroon didnt seem to pay much attention to the new damsel so i thought all was well. the next evening when i was at work the gf said the damsel was MIA. I thought he was just hiding and would pop back up soon. Well its been two days since we last seen him and when i got home i noticed there where no crabs visable anywhere so i assume they where cleaning up the "mess." My gf wondered if we could get more than one and they stand a better chance, a little safty in numbers. It seems like i read somthing like that some where, that the harrassment is spread out amoung the group and not on just one fish. Any truth to that? any suggestions?

Sorry to hear about your loss, it always stinks to lose a pet. I'd say the maroon clown would be my prime suspect. They can be unrelenting and he may have been fighting with your blue damsel at night after lights out. The safety in numbers to spread aggression might work for you. Others have also had success in rearranging the LR in the tank to kind of reset boundaries (especially useful if you have a fish that thinks the whole dam tank is his).Only other option is to sell the maroon clown and get a less aggresive clown species.

yea selling maroon is not option the gf loves him thats her fish. I might try rearranging live rock. thanks for the help.

Sorry about the loss. If you get a few it doesn't always mean he'll stop. He may go after the smallest and do the same. I speak from experience.

I'd still not be so sure the clown killed him.

well im not sure either but the clown was chasin him around and being aggresive towards him. Talked to LFS tonite and asked about buying a group of damsels, she said she would worry that the damsels would pick on the clown after growing some. well damsels are out. trying to decide wat to get next thats reef safe. thanks everyone

If they do well, they still are more likely to harrass any new fish added later. I've just heard of too many people trying to take all the rocks apart to catch damsels after they get more comfortable and mean. That clown/damsel could be a problem too, but it did sound like on the first day he asserted himself and proved his superiority, then on the second day all was well.

Try gobies, blennies, cardinals.

After having a GSM for 8 yrs I would say he was the culprit. GSM`s are the meanest of the clowns. He probably should have been the last fish added. Next time if you see any aggression cut the lights off and move some LR around.

yea cant return the clown. Maybe i can put him in my qt tank for a while after i get my next fish. hmm whats the smallest tank for a maroon clown?

Back
Top Bottom