loud slurping noise, help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerejohnson

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 220 gal rr and the problem is that the down pipes are slurping air/water, i can get it to stop by using a ball valve before it gets to the sump but, then i dont get enough water to the return pumps before they run out. ive tried ball valves on the return pumps but that doesnt help much, is it possible that im pumping too much up compared to not enought going down. the book that came w/ the tank said that each down pipe is 600 gph, so that would be 1200 gph, now i have a 900gph pump that doesnt do that great and a 1200 gph pump that works well, can anyone recommend a set of pump that would do 1200 gph with 60 inches of head? would doing 1100 gph up and 1200 gph down fix it or what. i wait for you wisdom. thanks

the sump setup is

| p p |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
|__r__|_______________|__r___|

p is the down pipe
r is the return pumps
in the middle is dsb and live rock..

The down pipes are sucking air much like a milk jug would if you just just turned it upside down. They have to breathe. Just drill a small hole in the top of the down pipes. That should solve your problem.

Back
Top Bottom