Low Calcium!!! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thegre8one

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Having problems keeping calcium levels up in my 55 gallon reef tank. I have been using Kalk. I mix 1/2 to 3/4 of a teaspoon in 1/2 gallon of freshwater and let sit for a few hours then i drip it into my sump at night at about 1 drop per secound. The level of calcium in my tank does not go above 300ppm. Should i use more Kalk per gallon or should i use somthing else?
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79
Alk 8.4
Mag 1320
P.H. 8.5
Cal 290

I would raise the CAand ALK via calcium chloride and buffer, and then maintain your ca with kalk. You can also try adding 1 tsp of white vinegar to the kalk mix and this will increase the amount of CA that is dissolved in the solution. Are you replacing all evaporated water with kalk? Do you do regular waterchanges? What does your new SW test at?

What is that ALK in Meq/L .... I shoot for 4 Meq/L ....
If I plant to house an anemone and a feather duster...how high should my Calcium be?

Will the Instant Ocean do the trick... or do I need a supplement? If so...which one is best?

There seems to be 2 preferred ways of keeping CA at acceptable levels. I used buffer and dosed Kalk for a number of months and could never get my CA above 330-340. So, I read about Oceans Blend & B-ionic and thought I would try one of those. I bought the 2 part Oceans Blend and I like the ease of use and cleanliness. My CA is still a little low... 350-370... but my PH is much more stable now. I am now thinking that my Hagen CA test kit is off because everyone I have chatted with about Oceans Blend is running well over 400 on there CA. Now I just use my dosing system for strontium and top-off water.

You need to keep calcium levels between 350 and 450ppm. Do you have the right lighting for an anemone? I read that they need very intense light.

Back
Top Bottom