low light anemonies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwatercrazy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
DO YOU HAVE ANY segestions ON LOW LIGHT anemones.......IVE HAD A FLOWER anemone ,curly q and 4 cody,FOR AWHILE NOW AND IT DOING REALLY WELL...WONDERING WHAT OTHER KINDS I MIGHT BE ABLE TO PUT IN MY TANK WITHOUT HAVING THE HIGH LIGHTING..PLEASE HELP :?............come to fIND out my condy anemones need high lighting .even now pet store told me they didnt there still doing very well and are eating for me so im keeping my fingures crossed they dont dye(get alot of light threw windows was hoping that would help)......

Attachments

• 100_5317.jpg
    100_5317.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_5315.jpg
    100_5315.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_5315_145.jpg
    100_5315_145.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 103
I understand what you are saying on this one. Thee are a lot of things in the hobby that people feel that they can get away with when it comes to meeting the requirements of a creature. Just keep in mind that this is only short term. Anemones don't have an expiration, but yours will. It is our responsibility as hobbyist to provide based need and not just the minimum. Okay, I will get off my soap box now.

There are a lot of very affordable fixtures out there that will sustain these creatures in the long term. Try PC lighting: your animals will thank you for it in growth and color.

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.......IN NO MEANS AM I TRYING TO depribe MY FISH OF ANYTHING...BUT FROM READING UP ON ANEMONES THERE ARE SOME TYPES THAT ARE SAID TO NOT NEED MUCH LIGHTING AND THATS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT.....

AND WHAT IS PC LIGHTING....I HAVE BOUGHT SPECAIL CORAL LIGHTS 40W POWER GLO JUST NOT THE HIGHT LIGHTING(YET)
JUST RECEIVED TANK 2 MONTHS AGO FROM AUNT.......

If you want any anemone your pretty much going to need a good bit of Power Compact lighting.

In the mean time, feed the condy..... that won't keep it alive forever, but it will lessen the stress for the little guy....

I see the anemone is HIGH in the tank... My bet would be its trying to get as close to those lights as possible to get what it requires to live.
This is not a cheap hobby and if you want to do things right for the creatures we keep we need to spend some $$$. Don't buy another anomone save the money and get some better lighting if all you have are NO bulbs.
How long have you had that anemone?
Why are you YELLING!!

so sorry had my caps on didnt even realize this,well ive had the tank for about two months now...so thats how long ive had the condy anemones....pet store owner told me i didnt need high lighting for them...if so i never would have purchased them....even called him back after finding out different but he ensured me they would be fine.....ill take the advice and get some new lighting.....

thanks for all the impute

WAAAAAAAAAAIT May I jump in here fast. You say you've had the tank for two months and had the condy's the same period of time. PLEASE tell me your are saying the tank has been cycled for 2 months and not that you cycled the tank WITH the aneome in it? Even if the tank was cycled for 2 months thats still not enough time IMO to be keeping an aneome I would recommend bringing it back to the LFS, reading up on this hobby and taking advise from someone other than the person who told you keeping an aneome in NO lighting would cut it.

Also a word to the wise. Sunlight through a window will cause you more problems than benefits. You will start seeing algae growth from the direct sunlight on the tank.

no,no,no,....i bought the tank from my aunt....the tank itself has been going for 2 years...and i did do reading up on some anemones like rock anemones witch at doctor fosters say they are low lighting...........(CURLY Q).......(FLOWER ANEMONE)..........i under stand all of your fustration but if i new i was going to get such nasty comments i wouldnt even had bothered ...im new to saltwater and was just wonting some advice....you guys need not be so harsh about it.....already new i was going to need to get high lighting anyways :oops:oh and by the way dont you need high lighting for red kelp because thats doing just fine in my tank and has grown quit a bit

I remember when I was new...I didn't know myself. I was fortunate enought to have bought a tank from someone who already had pc. But I wouldn't have known. I didn't realize what I was getting into. Now I know, but I didn't then. I think that when we are told from LFS how easy it is, it dosen't seem like we are doing something wrong by buying a tank and diving right in. But this person is here now, let's help him/her! Let's set the story straight, just realize he/she is just beginning!

just to tap in on this
what is the min watts per gal for anemones? on average...i know some may require more then others....

ok.....the VHO retro will give me alittle over 2 and i am looking to get a 2nd VHO retro kit.....or may still go with a MH retro kit

Hang in there, Saltwatercrazy!

And don't take anything that anyone on the site says personally. Everyone here really loves this hobby, loves the wildlife, and hates to see suffering (plenty of people out there don't care). I think that people are probably more upset with the fish store, than they are with you. You have taken the time and care enough to come here, so my hat is off to you for coming to get help. You've taken the first step and are getting better lighting, so keep it up.

Don't know what size tank you have but check out some of the lights on this page. I have them, as do many on this site. Sounds like it might be the right thing for your tank.
http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/detailcat.asp?CatID=ltpc&SubCatID=lunar

Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom